This is Rocky!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

fullofit

Re: This is Rocky!

Post by fullofit »

6 months old, 42#. He just went to the vet to be neutered. undescended testicles, so an abdominal incision. It sure didn't slow him down.
I can't get my husband to understand that this dog will weigh 80#, and letting him sit on his lap in his chair isn't the best thing. CHAR
Attachments
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

He is so pretty Char!!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

He is so cute! Sam and I are both bad about letting Maggie sit on our lap, but shoot how can you resist those faces :lol: :lol: Even when my other boxer dogs were full grown they still managed to get in our laps somehow :???: Walker is 95# and thankfully has never tried to sit in my lap :lol:
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

this dog goes bananas over shovels, brooms, mops, and my purse. CHAR
Attachments
IMG_0601.jpg
IMG_0609.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

I love my Boxer. He had his first obedience class last Thursday. Boy do we have a lot of work to do. Rocky thought he was there to play. Then he got tired of walking around in circle's, so the instructor said for me to walk faster so he didn't surge ahead. Then he got tired again and lay down, and wouldn't get up. He was better after the 5 min. break because he got a drink of water. What a first experience.

However, he wasn't as bad as the bloodhound (7 months, and huge), The bloodhound just sat there and wouldn't budge. He just watched the others.
The young German shepherd whined and yipped and fought the leash, one of the dogs had to have a cone collar put on so he wouldn't bite.
The instructor has a 4 mo. old Australian shepherd, who is really smart. Just a real cutie. He just sits there and waits for the treat.
Attachments
Hector, who used to be bigger than the puppy. He had his chance then to be the BOSS. And blew it.
Hector, who used to be bigger than the puppy. He had his chance then to be the BOSS. And blew it.
All dressed up for the Christmas party. Age 5 1/2 mo.
All dressed up for the Christmas party. Age 5 1/2 mo.
IMG_0659.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Kas

Post by Kas »

Boxers get bored after they have done something correctly. They don't want to have to do it over and over. Liberty won 1st place in her puppy obedience class, but she hated practicing! I would get the hang dog sad eye look! I just love their personalities. He is a cutie.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, you in class now!! COOL!! I don't like obedience just for that....it is boring to me.. :lol: ...I work the fun matches but not sure I would want to do it....same thing over and over.......but if you like that, that is cool!! There are lots in our dog club!! I work this next one we are having.....I could just see Willie going for the glove.... :lol: Rally is fun obedience....I love your boxers! Aren't bloodhounds something? My friend has one and he does agility......but not anymore.....

Have a great day!!
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

I figured I had better take him to obedience class and have him learn a few manners. But it seems that my DH counters everything Rocky is supposed to be learning. e.g. don't jump up, stay out of the chair, don't bite, the shoes/slippers are MINE, not yours.

Then, if Rocky does well, I'll definitely think about going further with agility. I think that will be really fun.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

sounds alike you need to send DH to obedience school :lol: :lol: Although, it would be good if he went with you.
Rocky is growing like a weed and I just love his face!

Ginger
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Good luck with obedience school! I love those pics of him out in the snow "helping" shovel the driveway. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

He loves the snow - don't all dogs?-, but even more he loves Shovels, Brooms, Rakes, etc. Anything held in a hand with a long handle and something to grab at the end. So he isn't really a big HELP at shoveling snow.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

A trip to the vet revealed that Rocky weighs 55# now @ 7 mo. The main reason for the vet visit was: I suspected seizure activity, and witnessed one on Thursday. He just fell and was out of it. So I observed and took him in to the vet. She did lab work which was all OK, but ruled out other causes. She said he was on the edge of receiving a medication. Phenobarbital. I really hate the thought of medicating a dog for life with all of the side effects. Being in the medical profession, I have done my research, and know the consequences. Organ failure, altered personality, Increasing meds and addition of others. I asked the vet about herbal options, and she said they don't work. Although I'd like to give them a try first. In reality I know that epilepsy is an electrical disorder in the brain and herbal supplements shouldn't be helpful. I hate to be so emotional about this, but......
CHAR (wild4flowers)
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Sorry to hear about Rocky's medical problem.
When I was growing up, our family dog had epileptic seizures. The vet gave us Phenobarb for her but only when she actually had a seizure, not as a maintenance med. She usually knew when she was about to have one and would come to us for comfort. She would pace and pant in front of us. We would give her the pill and her seizures were pretty mild. Is that an alternative to giving the medication daily? As I recall, she had more frequent seizures when she was young (one every other month) and once she was 7 or 8, maybe one a year. By the time she was 10, I don't think she even had them any more. Maybe a homeopathic vet could give you some alternative treatments, as well.
Good luck and hugs to Rocky.
Gloria
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Try Dr. Karen Becker in Hoffman Estates, IL

http://www.drkarenbecker.com/nav_sets_04/set01.htm
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Oh Char, Did she say anything about putting a holter on him to monitor his heart for a few weeks? It could also be diabetes, did she check his sugar? Sometimes when they are really young they will seizure after alot of exertion, you know how they are, they don't know when to stop and rest! I will be thinking of you and Rocky, please keep us informed! ((((Rocky))))))

Ginger
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

She just lstened to his heart and said it was OK. Then drew blood and called me with the results, All normal. I assume that a blood sugar was one of them.
I haven't noticed another event so far.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

that is good. Maybe just a one time event, I have heard boxers do that sometimes then never have another problem. Give him a big pat and kiss from Maggie and Walker and me!

Ginger
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

This was not a good week for Rocky. I worked all week, and he was home alone with my DH.
Monday before I left for work, Rocky couldn't stand. He couldn't get his rear off the rug. I pulled him up and he hesitantly took some steps, but when he sat back down, he couldn't stand by himself. I did get him outdoors to pee, tho. I did get him to the vet in the afternoon, but by then he had worked himself out of it. Vet said, he probably fell and bruised his back. Then I figured that he probably came racing in through the doggie door and scraped his back. Some anti inflammatory meds and it is like it didn't happen. He also had his seizure-like activity on Monday and on Saturday again, after some frantic activity (like boxers do when they get excited).
He went to obedience class on Thursday night, and ran into me while I was walking backwards trying to get him to come to me. He knocked me down flat on my back and then since I was down at his level, he pounced on top of me. They had to hold him back so I could get up. After that we were to lay the dogs down, roll them over on their back and make them relax by petting, touch, and calm words. Ha, Ha!!!!! What boxer ever wants to roll over on your terms. And then when I wrestled him down, and over, his legs were kicking frantically in the air. The instructors were laughing to beat the band. I asked if this was enough relaxation?
After that, they wanted everyone to show the 'trick' they had taught their dog. I had to admit that Rocky was very resistant to any type of a trick, and we didn't have one. But when we got home, I continued to work with him and try to get him to shake. Then, all of a sudden, and with a powdered sugar donut, he realized what I wanted him to do, and now he lifts his paw for everything.
But when my 9 year old grandson came over today, Rocky did a 'sit', for him and a 'heel'. Great! Now the grandson can walk Rocky, at least a little, without him jerking away. Gotta Love It.
Attachments
x-mas-4.jpg
x-mas-4.jpg (7.54 KiB) Viewed 13260 times
CHAR (wild4flowers)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Your doing great! I have to laugh.....I loved reading it all.....but please don't give him donuts....or at least.....don't tell me... :lol: :lol: He sure is a stinker..... :lol: Love it!!! :cool:
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Actually the 'donut' was just a teaser, and it only took a couple of times for it to work. And he doesn't get the whole thing, just a pinch of taste. And after that ,he'll shake for any treat. And since I always him him sit first, for any reason, when he 'sits', that paw just comes up without a cue.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
New Topic Post Reply