Obedience training for Rocky

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

fullofit

Obedience training for Rocky

Post by fullofit »

We made it through the first round of obedience training, and are now in the CGC training. I didn't even know what that meant, and am now smarter as is Rocky. Now, as a Canine Good Citizen, he should get along in many other situations that may arise.
Rocky is 10 months old now and really likes going to class, even though he doesn't get to play with the other dogs. He is pretty obedient during class. To the best of his boxer puppyness that is. He has learned what I want him to do but quickly gets bored. At that point he grabs the leash and shakes it, or lays down for a good stretch or with legs in the air, or sneaking on his belly towards another dog thinking I won't notice. He's not really disobedient , just distracted.
And I'm enjoying the classes too.
On top of all this, Rocky is having some mild, short duration seizures. The vet said he's not having enough for any medication yet. He has never had a seizure in class, just when he gets really excited over something, mostly a new playful dog.
I'm patiently (and not so patiently) waiting for DH to install the underground fence, since the old one stopped working after 10 years. Then Rocky can have the run of the whole yard.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
LucyGoose

Re: Obedience training for Rocky

Post by LucyGoose »

Isn't it so much fun?!?!! I do love class, too...unfortunatly, my two will not get their CGC....I know.....someday maybe Missy Anabelle....but Willie will never do well when I had him to someone and leave....he screams....lol......plus him and the other dog issue......I still call OED and talk to him, too......I am so glad you are enjoying obedience. I work the fun matches to earn hours for the club.....it's fun! I am looking into another dog MAYBE! :lol: ....Jay says no.....I say maybe..... :lol: ....I hope the seizures do not get worse....Hug the boy for me!!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Congrats Rocky and Charlene!!! Maggie Mae is supposed to test for her CGC this Sunday, however I have no expectations she will pass. Her social skills are still lacking :o

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Good Luck Ginger!!
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Rocky has great social skills. But he's such a happy go lucky clown. I can meet and greet with others in class, and he'll just sit there, won't even lunge at other dogs. He has learned that, at least. Because it is what we always do there.
But when it came to recall, he was too busy watching the other dogs instead of me. I couldn't get his attention to come to me. And he grabbed the 20 ft. leash and treated it like a toy, just shaking the 'snot' out of it.
That means we didn't pass the CGC. But he is just 11 months old, and a BOXER on top of that. We will try again. We both had a great time. And he really loved going, even tho he didn't get to play with others.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
New Topic Post Reply