Our Papillon Pup! Meet Choco!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Our Papillon Pup! Meet Choco!

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

This cutie patootie is Choco (pron. Chaw-ko) He was born on April 5 and joined our family on June 12. We'd originally adopted his littermate (Chip, see below), but he proved to have a personality that didn't work for our family and we took him back to the breeder. Choco's personality fits very well into our low-key family. Our 5 year old is great with him too! Choco adopted hubby as HIS human and Chip had adopted me, so I'm kinda left without a buddy by my side at night when we're all winding down.... Which is another reason we hope to adopt a second Pap soon!

Choco is super sweet, and smart, having already learned 12 commands.

The breeder, a friend of mine for over 10 years, adopted his mother, Isabelle, and found out within a few weeks that she was pregnant. Isabelle was being re-homed by a woman who had 2 Papillons, male and female. So, our assumption is that he is full bred, but we do not have papers on him. That's ok, since we haven't any intention of breeding or showing him. Isabelle is big for a Pap, standing 12½ inches at the shoulder, but his (presumed) father was smaller. Mom weighs 14 lbs. Right now, at almost 4 months, Choco weighs 6.5 lbs. Chip, who is still up for adoption weighs like 9 lbs already. So, I'm presuming Choco will be more like the size of his father. And according to an article I read, a 4 month old Pap is nearly full grown, however another website said based on his current size, he'll grow to be 10½-11 lbs.

He's currently losing his puppy coat, so that cute fuzz will soon be replaced by his longer adult coat.

Anyway, Here are Choco and Chip shortly after we brought them home.

And here's Choco:

Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
eastwood2007

Re: Our Papillon Pup! Meet Choco!

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, Lucy Goose will love to meet Choco! She has 2 Papillions that she does agility with....

Very cute babies! Congratulations!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Puppies!!! How adorable!! Yes, I have two paps.....they are very smart, and a dog you want to give a job for sure!!...LOL...Good Luck, and any help I can be, please ask...I am a real big advocate of feeding grain free foods...go to http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html A-Z foods you can look up! If you have a Pets Supplies Plus by you, they carry a lot! Have fun!!
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

LucyGoose wrote:Puppies!!! How adorable!! Yes, I have two paps.....they are very smart, and a dog you want to give a job for sure!!...LOL...Good Luck, and any help I can be, please ask...I am a real big advocate of feeding grain free foods...go to http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html A-Z foods you can look up! If you have a Pets Supplies Plus by you, they carry a lot! Have fun!!
Thanks LucyGoose.... I'm chuckling cuz I actually DID contact you Facebook at the end of May! Of course, I didn't know it was you, at the time.

Choco has been on Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Puppy which is a 30% protein food. Our vet really likes Pro Plan and that's what he was eating when he came to us, so we'd stuck with it. Per your suggestion via our FB conversation, I did look into grain-free. There are a few options, between PetsMart and Chuck & Don's, but all of the lines carried were specifically for adult dogs. Thru a promo at Chuck & Don's, I did get a free bag of Canidae Grain Free Elements, but it has only 25% protein. It says it's an "all stages" formulation, but I wonder if the protein content is too low for a puppy. Your thoughts?

Here's a question for ya: either of your paps have anal gland issues? When Choco was just under 3 months, I had to have his anal glands drained. When I took him in a few weeks later for his last puppy shots, they were filling again. The vet suggested adding canned pumpkin to his diet or feeding a few baby carrots per day. We've been doing the carrots (cuz we have them) and it seems it is easier for him to go #2, but I'm unsure of its affects on his AG's. Any thoughts on this?

We did end up returning Chip to the breeder. And since the last of her puppies (pre-reserved) has been adopted, she's going to start advertising Chip to the general public and is confident he'll be adopted soon. I've been actively looking for a 2nd dog to keep Choco company, but it seems that none of the Paps I've found have that "happy" look to them. I'm sure Chip would make a great pet for someone, but his personality didn't mesh with us and Choco. He's EXTREMELY athletic, high energy and was a bit aggressive with Choco.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these topics!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

While I don't have Paps, I have had dogs for years. Have you considered supplementing his lower protein kibble with some raw hamburger? The high fat grade has lots of proteins and good fats for dogs. Not anymore expensive than good kibble.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

You contacted me on FB?? Really? Wow.....try again so I can friend you....

Now......dID YOU GO LOOK AT pRO pLAN ON THAT LINK i GAVE YOU? yucy food! aND NOW THAT YOUR TELLING ME ABOUT ANAL GLANDS.....it is a food thing!...lol....yOUR VET WILL ALWAYS RECOMMENDED JUNKY FOOD....TRUST ME...i LOVE MY VET.....AND WHEN i TELL HER STUFF LIKE THIS.....SHE LOOKS AT ME AND SMILES.....(Just looked up...see it is all caps...LOL....can you tell I have to look at the key board??..I am not re-typing..hehehe).....please switch foods......Canidae is okay.....I don't feed it, no reason....do not worry about the protein......most good foods are high....it's okay...and as you gradually switch, you feed less amount that the grain foods.......look for a all stage food.....is there nothing like a pet boutique or like a specialty dog store that offer foods? ....I did do raw before, too......but my guys were not fond of it.....I did the store bought kind....I like the Primal brand.....again, you would have to have a good pet store that would carry this......Oh, just remembered...as an example...my old cat (he is 17 now) was on "prescription food from the vet"....he had to have his glands cleaned regularly.....then I started learning about foods...with both cats and dopgs......I took him off that crap.....he is on Wellness brand...and others hear that there.....NO MORE GLAND TROUBLE.....I told my vet, too.....I love her, really I do...but they do not learn nutrition.....just like docs....look me up on FaceBook! Good Luck!!
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

Ok, I sent ya a new friend request on FB.

This is the Canidae I got: http://www.canidae.com/dogs/pureland/dry-more.html This is the food I got at Chuck & Don's Pet Food Store...
I was just worried that it had a LOWER percentage of protein as compared to the Pro Plan Puppy Small Breed.

Chuck & Don's has a HUGE selection, so I guess you could call them a specialty store... Here's the list of dry food brands they carry: Bil Jac, Blue Buffalo, California Natural, Canidae, Canine Caviar, Chicken Soup, Diamond, Earthborn Holistic, Eagle, Eukanuba, Evangers, Fromm, Go Natural, Honest Kitchen, Halo, Holistic Select, Innova, Merrick, Natures Variety, Native, Natural Balance, Natural Planet, Natures Logic, Now, Nutrisource, Nutro, Orijen, Premium Edge, Precise, Professional, Pro Pac, Pure Vita, Royal Canin, Science Diet, Sojo's, Solid Gold, Taste of Wild, Wellness, Wysong

Are any of those brands something you'd recommend?

Choco has a nearly insatiable hunger. So, I wish there was something I could feed him that might actually help him feel "full".

If I knew of a food that would help him with his glands, I'd definitely do it. We are, however, liking using the carrots. He knows now that he gets his carrots during our dinner. So, he's good about laying in his bed and eating his 3 little carrots while we eat our dinner. This keeps him from sniffin' around the table.
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow...I'd say you have a great store there!! Stay away from Evangers, Halo, Bil Jac, Diamond, Eukanuba, Holistic Select, Native, Natural Planet, Nutrisource, Nutro, Premium Edge, Precise, Professional, Pro Pac, ure Vita, Royal Canin, Science Diet!!

So.....Orijen has been the number one kibble for the last two year! It's great! And it is a all stage food....any age.....Now remember...if you get loose stools, feed less.....there is no junk in these so you do not need to feed a lot...never go by what they say on the back...they want you to use more.....LOL./....okay, to give you an idea, I feed 1/4 cup, twice a day......both dogs.....Willie is about 10 pounds and Anabelle is bigger at about 14.......Another thing you might now know is you can switch it up.....it's better to prevent allergy's.....Not like in the old days of one brand all their life.....I buy the sample bags that are like $5 ...Canine Caviar and Orijen, and another one you did not list that is made by Orijen is Acana.....it is less meat than Orijen, but still excellent......they make the small samples.....I like to do those so I can mix it up from time to time and not have 2-3, 4-5 pound bags open.....I just finished a 5 pound bag of Now....Then if they have canned tripe, I put one small scoop on the top of there food, too....good for digestion. Hey, if you want, I can call you on the phone and talk dogs and food and shots.....LOL...PM your number if you want.....Choco's hunger is because he is not getting satisfied.......example....my neighbor has an old chi dog......learning on the better foods, and she started going where I go, her dog totally quit begging from her.....she was so amazed....she is satisfied now....I would go with the Now, Wellness, Orijen, Canine Caviar, Earthborn......Willie started with the Wellness while he was young....always had good poos.....:-)

Good Luck!!!!
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

LucyGoose wrote:Wow...I'd say you have a great store there!! Stay away from Evangers, Halo, Bil Jac, Diamond, Eukanuba, Holistic Select, Native, Natural Planet, Nutrisource, Nutro, Premium Edge, Precise, Professional, Pro Pac, ure Vita, Royal Canin, Science Diet!!

So.....Orijen has been the number one kibble for the last two year! It's great! And it is a all stage food....any age.....Now remember...if you get loose stools, feed less.....there is no junk in these so you do not need to feed a lot...never go by what they say on the back...they want you to use more.....LOL./....okay, to give you an idea, I feed 1/4 cup, twice a day......both dogs.....Willie is about 10 pounds and Anabelle is bigger at about 14.......Another thing you might now know is you can switch it up.....it's better to prevent allergy's.....Not like in the old days of one brand all their life.....I buy the sample bags that are like $5 ...Canine Caviar and Orijen, and another one you did not list that is made by Orijen is Acana.....it is less meat than Orijen, but still excellent......they make the small samples.....I like to do those so I can mix it up from time to time and not have 2-3, 4-5 pound bags open.....I just finished a 5 pound bag of Now....Then if they have canned tripe, I put one small scoop on the top of there food, too....good for digestion. Hey, if you want, I can call you on the phone and talk dogs and food and shots.....LOL...PM your number if you want.....Choco's hunger is because he is not getting satisfied.......example....my neighbor has an old chi dog......learning on the better foods, and she started going where I go, her dog totally quit begging from her.....she was so amazed....she is satisfied now....I would go with the Now, Wellness, Orijen, Canine Caviar, Earthborn......Willie started with the Wellness while he was young....always had good poos.....:-)

Good Luck!!!!
Ok, I'm on overload! I went to the store and researched options in the various brands you suggested. I was specifically looking at protein and fiber content. Most of the fiber was in the 3-4% But there was one bag that was 7%. Seems to me like it was a fish formula. I might give that one a shot since fiber is the preferred treatment for anal gland issues. What's your opinion of the Wellness, Small Breed Puppy... it's not grain free?

I left my notes in the car, but I'm definitely gonna send ya my number!

Thanks Goose!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

LOL.....Yeah, we need to talk......

Wellness is a great food.....Get Wellness Core.....When you get rid of that crap food....you will get rid of anal problems...do not worry! Trust me!! Or, you can friend my friend on FB and she is excellent at explaining that same thing...Leslie Cook...she owns a dog food store and is really knowledgeable ...I had to find out for a friend one time at the dog club.....they were having anal glad issues too, and was on TERRIBLE food.....switched food, and gave it a little time and no anal glad problems......LOL.....give me your number..... :lol:
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

LucyGoose wrote:LOL.....Yeah, we need to talk......

Wellness is a great food.....Get Wellness Core.....When you get rid of that crap food....you will get rid of anal problems...do not worry! Trust me!! Or, you can friend my friend on FB and she is excellent at explaining that same thing...Leslie Cook...she owns a dog food store and is really knowledgeable ...I had to find out for a friend one time at the dog club.....they were having anal glad issues too, and was on TERRIBLE food.....switched food, and gave it a little time and no anal glad problems......LOL.....give me your number..... :lol:
My week gets a bit less crazy next week... this is my last week of my summer break.

Yeah, it was the Wellness Core Ocean that had 7% fiber. That was the one I was leaning toward. But I just read on the website it said that it wasn't recommended for puppies under 1 year. They recommend their puppy line for under 1 year: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product- ... ngredients

So, looking at my notes, Now has a grain free puppy: http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=157
and so does Orijen: http://orijen.ca/products/puppy/analysis

Gotta go... taking my daughter to the zoo today!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

All three are good, so just pick one and get that fiber out of your mind....LOL....use one bag, then switch to another protein source of the same company or use another....that is where people have the hardest time....they have been so set on buying one brand for the life of the dog....would you like to eat one thing all your life and do you think you would be healthy doing that? No.....dogs too....then need to switch from fish, beef, chicken, venison,...(keep in mind that that it is not uncommon for dogs to not do well on chicken. It's an allergen for some) So for now, get him off that Purina Pro Plan (did you read on this food?)..... http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1402&cat=7 And get some good food and we will talk next week! Great ! Can't wait to meet you!! Gve you pappy a pat from me!! :-)
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

LucyGoose wrote:All three are good, so just pick one and get that fiber out of your mind....LOL....use one bag, then switch to another protein source of the same company or use another....that is where people have the hardest time....they have been so set on buying one brand for the life of the dog....would you like to eat one thing all your life and do you think you would be healthy doing that? No.....dogs too....then need to switch from fish, beef, chicken, venison,...(keep in mind that that it is not uncommon for dogs to not do well on chicken. It's an allergen for some) So for now, get him off that Purina Pro Plan (did you read on this food?)..... http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1402&cat=7 And get some good food and we will talk next week! Great ! Can't wait to meet you!! Gve you pappy a pat from me!! :-)

Well, I ended up buying 2 bags. One was the Acana Grasslands: http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/s ... lation=gfd. I chose that cuz it's the same protein he's on now (Lamb), and I could get a sample size bag. There was also no poultry in this one.
I've make up his food for the next week (portioned out so that it's a smooth transition to the new stuff).

I looked at the Wellness Small Breed Puppy, but it had a lot of grain, so I passed on that for now.

The 2nd bag I picked up was a sample of the Orijen Puppy, but the lady told me it also had chicken in it, so I should be watchful for allergy issues.

The final one I considered, the Now Puppy, also had poultry.

Choco LOVES the new stuff and I like it for him already too. The kibble is a bit larger, about the size of a Spree candy, and he has to slow down and actually chew. He was really woofin' down the Pro Plan stuff. He vomited last week and I could tell that he wasn't chewing his food at all!

I also have a bag (a freebie for signing up for the store loyalty card) of the Canidae Pure Land... it's bison and lamb, but the protein isn't as high as the Acana and Origen, so I may hold onto that bag till he's over a year old. I could also exchange it for one of the other 3 Canidae Pure types which are a higher protein, but they all have poultry.
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Good going!!! Yeah, dogs can tell the good stuff....Those other company's spray the outside so your dog will want to eat it....no dog want corn to eat..... :lol: ....Just saying

"Now" isn't a bad brand......I just got done with that one.....Orijen Grasslands I love, too...how much are you feeding this little guy? I have a real measuring cup......1/4 C.......Oh, and I love those sample bags.....That is what I get 90% of the time....LOL...makes for rotating easy!.....Canine Cavier does that too...Oh, and have you seen Nutrisca? They sell the small bags and it's a good food....Chicken or shoot, now I am blanking out the other one....I think it's Salmon...anyway, they use Chickpea instead of potato.....Hve you seen Stella & Chewy's? Another good one to swith to here and there.....In fact, I used that tonight....one patty with half of the 1/4 cup of Nutrisca and a dab/tablespoon of canned Tripett brand Tripe......They love it! All my treats are grain free, too....since I have to be gluten free, my dogs have to be too, cause I will put a treat in my mouth at times.....but then they were before I was anyway...no wheat....none of those icky Milk Bones.....

Sounds like you have a great start now....please still lets talk on the phone, though.....I love that....I will not keep you real long....promise... :lol:
ThisIsMelissa

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

LucyGoose wrote:Good going!!! Yeah, dogs can tell the good stuff....Those other company's spray the outside so your dog will want to eat it....no dog want corn to eat..... :lol: ....Just saying

"Now" isn't a bad brand......I just got done with that one.....Orijen Grasslands I love, too...how much are you feeding this little guy? I have a real measuring cup......1/4 C.......Oh, and I love those sample bags.....That is what I get 90% of the time....LOL...makes for rotating easy!.....Canine Cavier does that too...Oh, and have you seen Nutrisca? They sell the small bags and it's a good food....Chicken or shoot, now I am blanking out the other one....I think it's Salmon...anyway, they use Chickpea instead of potato.....Hve you seen Stella & Chewy's? Another good one to swith to here and there.....In fact, I used that tonight....one patty with half of the 1/4 cup of Nutrisca and a dab/tablespoon of canned Tripett brand Tripe......They love it! All my treats are grain free, too....since I have to be gluten free, my dogs have to be too, cause I will put a treat in my mouth at times.....but then they were before I was anyway...no wheat....none of those icky Milk Bones.....

Sounds like you have a great start now....please still lets talk on the phone, though.....I love that....I will not keep you real long....promise... :lol:
Right now, he's getting 1/2c twice per day... a total of 1 cup. But that's mostly the Pro Plan. He'll go down to 1/3 cup of the Arcana during the transition. I'll watch his weigh gain from there. It looks like he'll go down to about 1/4 cup twice a day after he's a year old.

The pet food store had lots of Stella & Chewy to choose from. Not sure how I feel about raw right now.

For treats, I'm using Little Stars Sweet Potato for now. It's not grain free, but it's at least organic. I'll look at grain free treats once we're done with these.

When you change to a new food, do you do it over the course of a week or do their tummies get used to the switching? The last thing I need is a pup with runs!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

You go slow with changing foods.....he is young, you just got him.....I have been doing this a long time with Willie first, then Anabelle......I started out just switching to something different after I got rid of the 4lb (or whatever it is) bag......people with large dogs and have a couple dogs will do the same.....but with me with the little ones, I can rotate often.....even each meal at times.......1 cup a day for that size dog is too much..........I can't uses Innova red meat.....Yes, you will definitely want to lower his amount....and remember.....when your feeding quality, high protein, it might take a bit to get used to or it might not.....and if he is having lose stools, and your not over feeding give it time....he will get used to it or lower his amount your feeding.........I wish my friend Leslie could talk to you as sometimes I do not explain it well...So is the store your using, have a good knowledgeable person? I have two that are good here.....love them..... :-)...
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Melissa....Choco is adorable! Good luck and I'm happy you have LG on here to ask questions about diet and such. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply