Walmart find

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

Walmart find

Post by eastwood2007 »

I came out of Walmart Saturday around noon to see a little boy with a cage and 2 little kitties. I went right past them and to my car to unload my groceries...as I was loading my groceries, I could hear the kitties crying and a woman trying to tell this little boy that the kitties were hot and needed some water (it was 101 degrees) and some shade. She was sitting with him and was concerned. When I went back to look at the kitties after hearing the conversation, they were panting soooo hard and really looked distressed.

Before I knew it, I was saying, "I'll take them." The little boy helped me put them in a box and I said, "thanks," and whisked them off to the car. I was afraid I would lose them before I got them home.

After I got them home they seemed dizzy and thirsty, but they are so little, and it didn't even seem like they knew how to drink out of a dish. I wonder if they just took them off the mother and brought them to Walmart. They are tiny...still just making "meeeeaaaaa" sounds instead of "meaow."

I just assumed they were litter mates, but now I wonder. When I put food in the box they were scrappin' and hissin' at each other. One is larger and stronger than the other. Other than that, they are perfectly content in a wire dog kennel and getting outside for awhile a couple times a day.

They are sooooo sweet and cute!!! Pure, pure white - not one spot on either of them - and the bluest eyes. I don't even know yet whether they are boys or girls, I haven't really looked, but I think they are girls. :lol:

I whisked them away so quickly...I hope the little boy was giving them away and not trying to sell them! I just assumed and didn't even ask....

Later I wondered if I'd been had....can you picture it....a parent trying get rid of kittens puts a little boy all by himself in front of Walmart with 2 kitties in crazy heat, all the while sitting on the front row parking in the car, saying, "Watch this...those kitties will be gone in 5 minutes people seeing them with no water and in the heat." Pretty slick!!! Yep! I fell for it!

It looks like they have recovered, and they are just as sweet and calm as they can be for little kitties.

My big ole Rottie thinks they are just fine...as long as they don't want to snuggle. :lol: My other kitties aren't so sure... :lol:

I think I'll keep them...
Attachments
kitties 001a.JPG
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Walmart find

Post by Chris_W »

What a cute story, and I'm glad to hear they are perking up.

We rescued some kittens years ago from a family member - the mother had abandoned 5 kittens under their deck. They told us how they were the cutest things, that they just sleep all day long.

:eek:

What? Kittens don't sleep all day long. They were starving to death! We got them right away and nursed them back to health. We actually had to hand feed them for several days before they came around, but they all did fine. Two survive today, and we still have one of them :)

Thanks for sharing :)

Chris
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

What cute little kittens, you did good!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Beautiful kittens!
I'm not sure about cats but a pure white dog with blue eyes has a pretty good chance of being hearing impaired if not a total lack of hearing. It's a combination of genes that are found primarily in Dals, White Bull terriers, white Boxers, white or dilute Australian Shepherds and a few other breeds. ANY pure white dog, pure bred or cross should be checked for hearing issues. I'm "assuming" it goes the same for cats.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww.....what a good thing you did...Jay would have killed me.... :lol: .....well maybe not for one, since Curtis is so old... :lol:

Bro, I do not think it is the same with cats......I could be wrong, but I do not think so..... :beer:

Char, now I want one..... :lol:

Hope they are healthy when you take them to the vet!! XOXOX
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, everyone! Yes, they sure are cute!

OMG, Chris! Well, I'm glad someone that knows kittens noticed the problem! Close call sounds like!

Someone else suggested they could be deaf, but at this point, anyway, their hearing seems fine. Is it something I need to watch for in the future?

They have the prettiest blue eyes!!!

Lucy, I was pretty sure my husband would kill me, too. When he saw the box in the living room, he asked, "What's this?" When he looked inside he said, "You've GOT to be kidding?!?! But when I told him the story, he was okay with it.

I didn't get to ask the little boy if they had been wormed or whatever. I know you can do that at 3 week intervals, so I'm going to wait a little while to take them to the vet. They do seem to have recovered and seem perfectly healthy. They are pretty young, though, and they eat and sleep a lot. They go outside and play a few times a day then come back to their kennel in the living room. They are perfectly content...OH, MAYBE THEY ARE SICK?!?!?! That is totally unusual for cats, right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have very sweet personalities....and did I mention...they are SOOOOO CUTE!
Charla
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Interesting article here. Not sure where the "facts" came from but, as I commented, it's not at all uncommon in white dogs.
http://voices.yahoo.com/are-all-white-c ... tml?cat=53

I would suggest you test them each alone, away from the other kitten. If one "IS" affected it very well may have learned to key off of it's litter mate. Dogs/pups will do that!
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

They could be deaf, but there should be no problem with that if these are going to be house cats. A friend on mine raised a deaf white boxer and she learned sign language and functioned very well within the home and around the other pets.
Good luck with your kitties.
eastwood2007

Re: Walmart find - new pic

Post by eastwood2007 »

Well, I did a test separately and they both seem to be good! Yay!

Thanks for sharing that article, Bob, that is a significant chance for white babies with blue eyes to be deaf - WOW!

I walked out the door to see this this morning...happened to have my camera close....so precious...
Attachments
007b.JPG
Charla
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

That picture has a very haunting quality about it. Cute as a button...but haunting! :lol: :wink:
Again I'm not a cat person but I seem to recall that most kittens are born with blue eyes and most change fairly quickly.
Anyone here that can say exactly when?
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Bob is right. Pure white cats can be either blind or deaf. Also kittens have blue eyes until they are older than 4 weeks. My Wilbur had blue eyes when I rescued him but they changed to orange as he got older. Are u feeding them dry food or wet?

I feed ours mostly wet, but if I feed them dry I add water to it and let it soak in, as cats gets most of their moisture from their food.

They sure are cute. I love white cats and orange cats, and grey cats and and...LOL

Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Thanks TQ! I knew someone here would be able to answer that. :wink:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Oh...they are so precious! I'm a sucker for kittens and I might have done the same thing in that situation....especially if my DH wasn't with me. :lol:
My cousin has a pure white cat with those ice blue eyes and his cat isn't deaf (or blind), but weighs a ton! I think it was up to 26 lbs. last I heard. He and his wife have no children so this cat is their "baby" and they spoil it rotten. That's understandable, but I think they need to put it on a diet. :wink:
And as RockNHostas said, it shouldn't be a problem if they are deaf as long as they are safely indoors. One of my cats suffered from brain damage as a kitten and he is deaf. He's also bumbling..uncoordinated for a cat, but he has managed very well in the house.
I'm sure these little ones are going to bring you much joy. I don't know if I missed it, but did you name them yet? :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I cant bring kittens home. Hubby is allergic. So we have no pets in the house. When I had rabbits outside hubby's eyes itched alot when I came in after playing with them. Had to have a shower before hugging hubby. :-?
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply