Question for Bob

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Question for Bob

Post by kHT »

We have taught Sable to not bark when she was younger but all the dogs around us bark like crazy so now she thinks it's okay. We have done the hands sign for stop and repeat stop barking so she knows this but now that isn't working even when we give her a treat and tell her she is a good dog. Once the other dogs start she thinks it good to answer them. We also have a problem with the two dogs on both sides of us charging at the fence at her and she is not starting to run to the fence to see if they are there. We have now fenced off an area for her due to the pit bull can clear the 4 foot fence and we are afraid he will do so. Any advice? We work with our dog and none of the others correct the bad behavior. I know she needs to run but to hear her scream with fear is not what is needed now!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: Question for Bob

Post by Bob Scott »

Fence fighting is a lousy situation when your the only one who cares.
Are there any laws in your area concerning pit bulls? Personally I love the breed but it attracts idiots.
You can only do what your doing. I have the same situation here. Two Bearded Collies and a Shelti behind me. I have no problem at all just opening the door and telling mine to "quit" but that's only good for a while.

" I know she needs to run but to hear her scream with fear is not what is needed now!"
Are you sure it's fear? Is she running away from the fence when this happens?
What is her body posture/action when she "answers them"?

Careful with the treats. If the timing isn't perfect she could be thinking that she's being rewarded for the barking.

The best thing you can do is to stop her before she gets barking. Wait, and she's at a high lever of excitement. That's harder to get her under control then.
Even if she does something as simple as perk her ears when she hears the other dogs, that can be the first step in the whole behavior. Give her a simple "no" command.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks for the advice!! No laws on pit bulls here but it appears the one went after the owners dog the other day the way she scream for help. We haven't see the dog in a couple
days. When this male dog came at Sable she was running screaming with her ears and tail tucked downward and poor husband thought something got her it was so loud. We have been really watching her when she is allowed to the west yard. I know they have been warned by animal control about going after other dogs.

When she barks now it's when the neighbors come out and we have caught them taunting her. They were unaware we were in the yard with her. So now if she sees them out she barks like crazy.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

The "taunting" really stinks! Even if you have video of them doing it I doubt it's more then a "don't do that again" from the law.
Often times complaints against idiots only give them fuel to do more.
I would still keep records and video.
kHT

Post by kHT »

We have been working with the local enforcement and they have had someone busted in that house every month for the last three months so yes
the videos are coming in handy!! I would rather correct the bad behavior in Sable then deal with them taunting after what has happened. Sable is
responding to the spray bottle so that is good. We are now taking her for a couple block walk now that I'm able to so she is getting a daily walk. We
are so proud of her, several dogs were barking at her and she didn't bark back. She didn't cower down like she has been with the neighbor dogs so
we are working in the right directions! Thanks for the help!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

I just hope it helps. Not being able to control the "distractions" can be a huge negative in dog training. :wink:
kHT

Post by kHT »

Don't laugh but DH took a week of vacation time and he is the biggest 'Distraction' in her life right now. He can go outside and open the door to come back in and it's like he
was gone all day, she goes nuts. So this week he has been in charge of her care! I'm going to have fun this next week with him going back to work. :lol:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply