Starting the New Year the right way?

Use this area to share diet tips and weight loss recipes or secrets.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Starting the New Year the right way?

Post by caliloo »

With the holidays behind me (in every way imaginable! Where DID that huge butt come from anyway? It can;t be all the egg nog, cookies, potatoes, gravy, etc etc etc can it? :lol: ) I have decided to start a healthier eating plan in 2007. I found this menu plan on Yahoo news this morning and decided this is one I can live with to jump start the New Year.....

Anyone interested in joining me? Are you planning on a particular menu or just cutting down a little on everything?

Here's the calorie breakdown:
Breakfast: Approximately 300 calories
Lunch: Approximately 400 calories
Snack: Approximately 150 - 200 calories
Dinner: Approximately 400 calories
Fun Food: 150 calories or less

Daily Fun Food Options:
• 1 oz dark chocolate
• ½ cup fat free pudding
• ½ cup low-fat ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet (any brand 150 calories or less)
• 1 low-fat ice cream pop (any brand 150 calories or less)
• 4-5 cups of light popcorn
• Glass of wine, red or white
• 1 oz baked chips
• 1 oz pretzels
• 1 cup natural applesauce
• Small bag of soy crisps
• 10 strawberries with 2 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
• Baked apple with 1 teaspoon sugar and cinnamon
• Frozen banana

DAY ONE
Scrambled Eggs with Turkey Bacon and Fruit: Whip one whole egg plus 2 egg whites and scramble on a heated pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add any preferred chopped vegetables (i.e., onion, red and green peppers, and tomatoes); enjoy with 2 strips of reduced-fat turkey bacon; serve with one orange (or ½ grapefruit or ¼ cantaloupe). Optional coffee or tea (plain or with skim milk, no sugar)

Ham and Cheese Sandwich: Toast 2 pieces of reduced-calorie whole wheat bread (any brand, 45 calories or less per slice). Layer one slice of bread with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise, optional spicy mustard, 4 ounces lean ham (or smoked turkey) and one ounce fat free or reduced fat cheese. Top with sliced tomato, onion and the remaining slice of bread; enjoy with 1 cup crunchy baby carrots.

Afternoon Snack: 10 almonds + one apple (or pear)

Grilled Fish with Vegetables and Sweet Potato: 6oz fish filet grilled with one teaspoon olive oil, lemon juice and preferred seasonings; enjoy with one cup steamed vegetables (choose either Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, Swiss chard, spinach, broccoli or summer zucchini); and serve with ½ plain baked sweet potato

DAY TWO
Cereal with Milk and Fruit: 1 cup high fiber cereal (5+ grams fiber and less than 150 calories - i.e., Kashi Go Lean, Nature's Path Flax Plus, Barbara's Grain Shop, Barbara's cinnamon flavored Puffins, Fiber One, Mighty Bites, Total, Wheeties, Shredded Wheat). Serve with 1 cup skim milk or low-fat soymilk, and ½ sliced banana or ½ cup berries. Optional coffee or tea (plain or with skim milk, no sugar)

Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken or Shrimp: Unlimited Romaine lettuce leaves topped with 4 ounces grilled chicken or cooked shrimp; 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese; optional anchovies (4 fillets); tossed with 4 tablespoons ‘reduced calorie' Caesar dressing (any brand, 40 calories or less per tablespoon) or use 1-2 tablespoons of regular Caesar dressing.

Afternoon Snack: One cup non-fat, plain or flavored yogurt (any brand 120 calories or less) mixed with 2 tablespoons wheat germ or ground flaxseeds.

Cheddar-Turkey Burger with Mixed Greens: 5 ounce turkey burger (or veggie burger) topped with sliced tomato, onion, 1oz melted reduced fat cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons optional ketchup or salsa (no bun); serve with unlimited leafy greens tossed in 2 tablespoons low-calorie vinaigrette (or unlimited vinegar or fresh lemon).

DAY THREE
Oatmeal with Berries and Nuts: ½ cup dry oatmeal prepared with water; topped with 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (choose either walnuts, pecans, soy nuts, or slivered almonds) and ½ cup berries (choose sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries). Sweeten with optional one teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute. Optional coffee or tea (plain or with skim milk, no sugar)

Open Faced Tuna Melt: Mash 3oz water packed light tuna (or use canned wild salmon or chicken breast) with 2-3 teaspoons reduced fat mayonnaise, minced onion and freshly ground black pepper; spread on two slices of reduced calorie, whole wheat bread, toasted (any brand of bread, 45 calories or less per slice); top each open slice with thinly sliced tomato and small slice non-fat or low-fat cheese (any variety, including cheddar, Swiss or American) and place in oven until cheese melts; enjoy with crunchy celery and pepper sticks (red, yellow and green).

Afternoon Snack: Sliced apple with 1 part skim string cheese

Chinese Take Out: Order steamed seafood, tofu or chicken and vegetable entrée (i.e., steamed shrimp and green beans) -- request garlic, black bean or ginger sauce ‘on the side' -- also order small container steamed brown rice. Pile your plate with steamed entrée and flavor with 1 tablespoon side sauce plus unlimited low-sodium soy sauce. Eat with ½ cup brown rice.

DAY FOUR
Apple Slices topped with Peanut Butter: 2 level tablespoons peanut butter spread over one sliced apple (or banana). Optional coffee or tea (plain or with skim milk, no sugar)

Japanese Spread: Bowl of miso soup with one six piece California roll and side order of steamed vegetables. You may use ginger, wasabi and low sodium soy sauce.

Afternoon Snack: 1 cup baby carrots or pepper sticks with 2 heaping tablespoons hummus or guacamole

Grilled Chicken & Veggies: Mixed vegetable salad with 2-4 tablespoons low-cal dressing (or 1 teaspoon olive oil and 2-3 tablespoons vinegar); 6 ounce grilled or baked chicken breast; 1 cup steamed vegetables (cauliflower, spinach, zucchini or peppers).
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

:eek: What no corona on this menu? :eek:
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Sorry Beth! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I figured an diet that has both dark chocolate and red wine on it can't be all bad!

Darn the luck that you can't have them at the same time :lol: :lol:

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

You wanna jump waith :o

Thats heavy stuff

What about scrimps, green salad and dry white wine :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

I have not visited this heading before. I do need to lose weight. I too will miss having a brew. My new lifestyle will include red wine. 4oz isn't enough to swing from the light fixture. My hosta partner in crime joined L.A. weightloss and has lost better than 40 pounds. She's very petiete and NOW is super mini. I'm thrilled for her. I myself can not justify the money to join. Instead, I'll have the support of my co-workers and plan to buy an arbor for the front of the house with part of my inheritance $. It doesn't "ring" right to say my EATING team has a hosta problem so I'll keep with the same old slogan. I hope our paths will cross in Indy. I might fall off the wagon there. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
minnow drinking team member.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
New Topic Post Reply