Walk On, Rock On

Use this area to share diet tips and weight loss recipes or secrets.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Walk On, Rock On

Post by nanny_56 »

Anyone want to join in??

This a 6 week walking program being done on ivillage.com. It starts on October 1, but you can sign up now. I have signed up.

In January I weighed 140. This month I weighed in at 147. These are according to my cardiologist's scales. I should weigh between 115 & 129.

I hope to lose 7lbs. during the 6 wk. program and to continue on to lose a total of 20lbs.

We could share our struggles & successes here!

Any takers???
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I've signed up too! I've been promising myself to try to drop about 10 pounds (which I gained very slowly over the last 15 years) but I've been unable to do it. Maybe having a group for support will make a difference!
Ceil
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

I might join that, too!
About three weeks ago, I started doing The Best Life web page. I don't really stick with the diet very well, although I am eating more healthily. But it really got me motivated to move more. I started wearing my pedometer (which needed a new battery because it's been sitting around doing nothing for so long :)). Anyway, it is a great motivator. It keeps track of miles, steps, calories burned, fat burned, and aerobic steps (when you walk more than 10 minutes solid). I try to get at least 10,000 steps a day, and have gone up to 13,000 just a few days ago. I usually do 6000 to 8000 steps in my normal day, so to get the 10,000, I have to walk about a mile, which gets me to my goal of about 3500 aerobic steps. I'm planning to increase it gradually even more, and get back into a little weight training, and also back on my bike which I (used to!) love.
Anyway, I love my pedometer. It's an Omron (it's the one they feature on ivillage). It sells for $18-$20 online. (I got mine at Amazon.com.) I just bought the Omron with the tracking software and I love it - it keeps track of everything and has graphs. Both of the pedometers keep 7 days in memory, so you can easily look back at the past week and compare how you're doing.
It's really motivating me to park on the far side of the parking lot - I figure if I don't get it one place, I have to make more of an effort when I get home! (Even paced back and forth in front of the TV one night when I needed a few more steps to get to 10,000.)
Sorry to go on and on, but I'm really excited about this (relatively) easy and fun way to step up my exercise.
Nancy
VThosta/daylilylover

Nancy,
Thanks for the pedometer information. I'm ordering one so that I will feel obligated to continue with this!
Ceil
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

I need all the motivation help I can get! This has really worked for me, to give me the little push I need to walk more each day. It makes it more fun for me. Hope you like yours.
Nancy
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I need to get one of those! I have meant to for a couple years now and never get to it. :roll: I do have a treamill and some light weights.

I did the make the journal that has the diet plan and excercise plan for me too.since I really need to do some strenght building too to get these flabby arms toned up. :lol:

I do not own a scale though so I will have to judge by the way clthes fit. I tended to get obessive about weighing myself and that was self defeating. :x
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
madmama

Post by madmama »

I also need a real kick in the pants. In the last couple of months I have put on almost 10 pounds! My life went crazy this summer and I just started to pack it on. Stress is heck on your weight.
I’m going to keep checking in here and hopefully you all will give me the motivation I need to get this weight off. If I’m not careful, I won’t have anything to wear!
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
Justme

Post by Justme »

I don't know about my signing up to do anything on a daily basis. Work gets in the way 3 to 4 days a week. 13/ 12 hours with travel time. But, I would give support and love to get support for my walking on the other 3 or 4 days a week with I do get to exercise.

I wear my pedometer and get 8,000 to 16,000 steps in 5 to 6 days a week. First day off work I mainly sleep and only get 2 or 3 thousand that day :wink: . I have a cheep pedometer, $4 at walmart. Only tells me #of steps/miles. I tend to misplace mine too often to spend $20 on one. If I can keep trace of this one for a few more months maybe Santa will bring me a nicer one :D .

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
VThosta/daylilylover

Claudia,
For awhile the wisdom was "don't weigh yourself daily" and I also heard that muscle weighs more than fat so that you can convert fat to muscle and not lose as much weight but be better off. Lately I've seen "weigh yourself daily" but I wonder if it really matters. What seems to matter is how your clothes fit and that side view...
I also find that when I sometimes think my weight is up (via how my clothes fit), the scale shows it's not or it's down while sometimes I'm feeling good and the scale shows my weight is up. So I don't think a few pounds on the scale means anything.
Ceil
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I have done my first day. I did 2 miles. I am find the ivillage site a little confusing and I tried to put a mile ticker in my signature but can't get it there!! :roll: I am nanny562007 on their message board.

How about anyone else??
Claudia
Justme

Post by Justme »

I walked 2.2 miles at the mall this morning :D I am going to walk 3.3 miles tomorrow. Lost 2.4 more pounds at weigh in this morning.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

That's great Tami!!! :P

My plan is 2 miles everyday this week and then up to 3 next week.
Claudia
VThosta/daylilylover

I had to go away for two days and just got home. My pedometer hasn't come yet :( so I don't know how far I've walked but kept walking all around taking the stairs in the building I was in, so I hope that's a good start. :D You guys did great!!!!!!!!
Ceil
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Ceil, you were walking, that's what counts!!!

I only know how far I walked because I live on a road that loops and it is exactly a half mile! :lol:
Claudia
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

:D I got 10 miles in so far for the week!! :D
Claudia
VThosta/daylilylover

10 Miles is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My pedometer finally came today! I've been walking but don't know how much! I'll try to walk around while reading the instruction booklet :lol:
Ceil
VThosta/daylilylover

I'm finding that the pedometer really does make a difference. When I'm wearing it (which is all day now) I keep walking more than I normally would to achieve the 10,000 steps (and hope to do more but for now I'm keeping 10,000 as a daily goal). I thought the 10,000 would be easier than it is, that is, I thought I wouldn't have to work to achieve it! Wrong! I really do have to put in the effort. The other great thing about the pedometer is that it shows how many calories have been burned. When I see how many steps I have to take to burn 200 calories, I've been thinking twice about eating certain high calorie foods as the pleasure isn't worth the amount of effort needed to counteract the calories.
I'm going to wait a few days before stepping on the scale as I don't want any lack of progress there to deter me.
Definitely feeling more energetic!
Ceil
Justme

Post by Justme »

Great going, any movement above what you used to do is an improvement, and to be applauded :D :D

I walked 4 1/2 miles this morning at the mall. Then did some shopping. I have already hit 10,000 steps and have several more hours to go 8-) .

I try to average at least 70,000 steps for the week. I can't remember where I read stuff, but somewhere I read aim for a weekly average of 70,000 per week when starting out. Not everyone can always get 10,000 due to life interferring. Some days I get as much as 16,000 and others I get 8,000.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Up to 20 miles walked now. I looked for a pedometer but they didn't have the one I wanted so I may have to order online..... :roll:
Claudia
Justme

Post by Justme »

Had a pitch in at work last night. Over ate. So to earn extra points I walked at the mall 2 miles after I got off work. I almost never walk extra on work days, No Time or energy :???:

Will go walk 3 or 4 miles this morning :D

Glad to see others are doing well with their walking also.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply