Walk On, Rock On

Use this area to share diet tips and weight loss recipes or secrets.

Moderator: Chris_W

VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Great work, Tami and Claudia.
I've met my goal of 10,000 each day and did a few days over 11,000. The scale shows a drop of two pounds but it's been know to give and take away on its own. However, I do feel less stomach and going on how my clothes fit, there is less of me! That's very encouraging. For me this was more like week 1 as I'm sure I never made 10,000 steps before getting the pedometer and I had no other way that I was measuring distance.
It is amazing how quickly the steps can add up. If I'm short one day I can often just walk for 10 minutes here and there and I get the steps in! I can honestly say that I really haven't gone out of my way to get these steps in and yet would not have walked so much without making the commitment here! Thank you, Claudia for starting this!!!!!
Ceil
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Great job, Ceil!!! :beer:

My clothes are starting to fit better too. I have also been doing some small weights for strength training and am seeing some definition in my shoulders already!! I still want to get me a pedometer even though I know my distance. I have a total of 24 miles walked so far!

I had hoped more might join in but... here for support or you can always pm me!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Justme

Post by Justme »

Yep, when adding in walking or other activity you can notice the clothes fitting looser before the scale gives rewards :D

Remember, a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. It also burns more calories to sustain itself 8-)

Put on the pedometer as soon as you can in the mornings. I get 500 or more steps just getting the kids and animals up and moving :o

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
madmama

Post by madmama »

You all are doing WONDERFUL!!!!!!

I don’t have a pedometer so I have no idea how much I walk a day. I do have a treadmill that I walk on 1 hour a day 5 days a week at a full incline. I have been doing this for a couple of years. It’s old and the speed and distance display is broke. But the important part is still working.
I do assembly work at home and that unfortunately means lots of sitting time. I try to get up as much as I can and do a few things here and there. I have dropped a couple of pounds since the last time I posted and I have you all to thank. Now if I could just start eating a little less!

Keep up the GREAT work everyone!!!!!!
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
VThosta/daylilylover

Thank, Claudia.
For me one of the most inspiring bits from the emails we're getting is the fact that when you diet you loose muscle, while when you walk these extra steps you loose fat.
Again, I want to say that the pedometer has pushed me to do those extra steps in order to meet my goal. Plus, having purchased it I feel the obligation to use it.
Last night after having taken the grandchildren on a trip during the day (3 hours total driving) and then making dinner for all when we returned I was short by about 800 steps at bedtime. I went to the basement and walked until I hit 10,000 and it really felt good.
And Claudia, getting back to small weights for strength training, I had done this a few years aago and was surprised by the quick results. Will have to add that soon!
What a difference having a support group makes!!
I almost didn't join for fear of making a commitment that I wouldn't keep. Now I'm glad to have made that commitment! Thanks, everyone!
Ceil
Justme

Post by Justme »

walked 2.2 miles first thing this morning. Weighed in, lost 2.6 lbs :D , down total of 31 1/2 lbs. Gave blood. Finished Annual Ed at work, ate lunch with Sis. Then walked another 40 min on the downtown canal :o Then took a nap. Total of 13,500 today. Not a bad day.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
VThosta/daylilylover

Jane, as soon as my treadmill is back in action (we're painting the room it's in) I'll try to calculate about how many steps in an hour unless someone else knows. I've found that usually I'm eating a little less as I feel so good about the pounds lost so far and know that it takes a lot of walking to undo a big meal. That said, yesterday wasn't a great day. While I made the 10,000 steps I was walking late and ate a little more than I should have. Today I feel recharged after reading Tami's post and actually went outside and did 4,500 steps! Tomorrow will start a new challenge as the grandkids will be visiting for a week and I'm not sure how I'll find the time to walk, odd as that might seem.
Ceil
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Yea, for all of us!!!!!

My pants are getting looser in the thigh, hip and butt so must being doing some good. I have walked 7 miles already for the week!

Thank goodness I have only 1 of our gd's here this week. It does make it harder to get it done. She is 9 so not like I have to watch her all the time though. I did explain to her I have to do my excercise and she was okay with that. Today I did 2 miles on the treadmill and then we walked 1 mile around the neighborhood. After dinner SHE asked if we could walk another mile, so we did!! :P
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Justme

Post by Justme »

O.K., for my 25 hour day (7 am Tuesday to 8am Wed) I got 19,500 :eek: . :lol: Makes up for Friday when I will only get 2,000 to 3,000 steps. :wink:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
VThosta/daylilylover

Wow, Tami, again you are an inspiration and help keep me moving! We were in such a hurry to pick the the grandkids that I forgot my pedometer yesterday morning. We must have walked 100,000 steps at the apple orchard :wink: but I still managed to log in the 10,000. Figure those extra steps were offset by the piece of cake (okay and icecream that I ate yesterday :-? ).
Guess I know why I'm still at minus 2 and holding. But again, clothes are getting loose and I'm feeling so much better that I'm confident that fat is turning to (heavy) muscle.
Now I will make an effort to eat less...
Keep up the good work everyone!
Ceil
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I have now walked a total of 36 miles on my walks.... seems like I should be somewhere! :lol: Plus, who know how many more I walk throughout the week just here and there.

I am very proud of all of us here!! :beer:
Claudia
Justme

Post by Justme »

Well, you guys just need to get a job that keeps you on your feet for 12 hours a night :lol: , then you too can walk 10, 000+ steps without trying.

Just have dingy teen-agers as patients :evil: . :lol:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Ooooo, no thank you!!!!! I like being retired!!! :lol:

Actually, I have thought of trying to find something part time to give me plant money...... :roll:
Claudia
VThosta/daylilylover

Had a week with the grandchildren and am trying to recover :lol:
Only missed 10,000 two days due to exhaustion one day and a painful knee the other. But our treadmill is back in operation so I did 12,000 yesterday after the grandkids left. Still have only lost two pounds :evil: but clothes continue to fit better and better, not sure what that's about. Have SIL and her husband coming for a visit today through the weekend so there's no hope of cutting calories.
Hope everyone else is doing better than I am :-? :D
Ceil
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

As I mentioned before I have no scales but clothes keep getting looser and things are looking better. :lol: I am up to 42 miles waliked in the challenge. So I should surpass my goal of 65 miles for the 6 weeks!

I know I was short last friday. That was the last day our gd was here and I was tired too! Plus we were putting insulation in the attic on saturday so friday they delivered 62 bags of it. and I carried up 25 of those babies. The rest were spilt between my dh & sil. Need I say more. :wink:

I have also managed to quit smoking in this time so I am feeling really good.
Claudia
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Have any of you noticed how many views this thread has had but only us 3-4 who post? :o
Claudia
VThosta/daylilylover

CONGRATULATIONS CLAUDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on quitting smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That alone will do more for you than the walking but that combined with the walking is fantastic!!!!
I'm so proud of you and hope you are happy about that choice.
Don't want to make excuses for not walking. As soon as this batch of relatives leave, I will be walking, walking, walking. We did take a nice long walk today but because we spent most of the time driving to different sites in the car, I'm only at 7700 :x
I hope some people are walking more too but just not comfortable with making the full commitment.
That treadmill better be prepared for the workout I'm planning to give it :D
Ceil
Justme

Post by Justme »

I took the kids to Cincinnati and visited a couple of Museums. So, even with a total of 4 or more hours driving you know I walked, maybe not 10,000 step though. But (this is the good news/bad news) I am wearing my next size smaller jeans now :D , but the waist band rolls on itself and the pedometer isn't measuring steps becouse it isn't in the right "spot" :evil:

Quiting smoking it the BEST :bd: :bd: :bd: 8-) , better than any walking. Congratulations. And now you can spend the $ from cigarettes on clothes as you need to get new ones :lol:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Thanks guys!! We just could not afford to smoke any more and we were always saying 'if we had the money we could ______'(fill in the blank). I think dh maybe smoking at work though. But he is a grownup so I will TRY not to nag him. :roll: :lol:

I did buy one of Leslie's videos at wallyworld today and I have ordered another from a used dvd site online. I will need variety come bad weather and can't walk outside anymore. I am up to 47 miles walked now!

So if anyone has some used ones they want to get rid of let me know!!

I figure half the battle is to at least TRY, and we are all doing that! And falling short a day here are there won't undo what we have done!!

Great job ladies!! :D
Claudia
Justme

Post by Justme »

My W.W. leader told us about a web site called "America on the move" last week. You have to join, for free, and I guess you can get support/information, etc. But, one thing you can do is log in your steps for the day and "pretend" to be walking on a famous trail, I.E. the Oregon Trail, The Alaskan Highway, etc. after you log in your steps it shows how far you have gone, where you are at and tells you about where you are on the "trail". sounds cool and I need to check it out better.

Don't know how many steps I did today, but I walked for 1 hr on my treadmill, while scanning the web and watching T.V. 8-)

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply