I'm happy to report another success story

Use this area to share diet tips and weight loss recipes or secrets.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

I'm happy to report another success story

Post by Chris_W »

I'm not sure what the inspiration was, but about a year ago I started working on my weight, adjusting my diet, trying to eat more healthy, less sugar, and smaller portions. But the big breakthrough came about mid summer last year when I cut out all diet drinks and all artificially sweetened foods. It seemed like I would drink a diet coke about mid morning and be really hungry in an hour or two. On days that I wouldn't drink diet pop I wouldn't be as hungry around lunch and breakfast seemed to take me longer into the day. I also started cutting out all sugar free products, no more "light" yogurt, no more "diet" foods, or no more "no sugar added" foods which really just have artificial sweeteners instead. As a replacement for diet coke I actually started drinking juice, so instead of a 2 liter a day I'm actually drinking about the same amount of 100% juice like orange juice, grapefruit juice, or grape juice, yet still losing weight.

The next big step was with portion control. I also am eating a lot more veggies, snacking on carrot sticks, cauliflower, celery... Now that my stomach has obviously shrunk I just can't eat that much any longer, so it is easy to control myself now. Exercising has never been a problem for me as I am always very active, so it was really just about eating less and eating better.

Well, I went from a 44" waist to a 38" waist and those are starting to get baggy now. I've lost 45 pounds, but want to lose at least 15 more. Most of the weight came off in the last 6 to 8 months. Yes, it is a slow process, but it can be done :D

Thanks for letting me share my progress :bd:

Chris
viktoria

Re: I'm happy to report another success story

Post by viktoria »

Congratulations, Chris! That sounds like a good plan and it surely seems to be working for you.

I gave up diet soda years ago, drinking water instead. No chemicals of any sort just has to be healthier than all the artificial stuff. Can't do the juice thing, though: each 8 oz. glass has at least 100 calories, so 2 liters would add up to 800 calories or more. Since I have to limit myself to 1500 calories a day, that would be more than half of it.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree that juice has a lot of calories, and I drink water at night to avoid those calories late in the day. If I wasn't so active year round those extra calories wouldn't help. But I feel so much better getting rid of all that artificial crap!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hey Chris, good for you! Congratulations on your weight loss. What you're doing sounds like a great plan and is obviously working well for you. I had my epiphany when I turned 50 last December and have been trying to get healthier by exercising more and watching what and how much I eat. The winter months really get me and find I really have to watch my portions. A 45 lb. weight loss really is a great accomplishment and that you just did it on your own and in a way that works for you is really inspiring. Continued success and health to you.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Congrats Chris!! :beer:

I love to hear that you, or anyone, are eating healthier!! And I'll bet you feel better, too. What an achievement!! :cool:

Thanks for sharing that with us!! :D
John

Post by John »

That's great, Chris!

I heard once that there is enough sodium in diet soda, to retain more water weight than you'd gain from the sugar in regular soda. And who needs that artificial stuff?!

They also say if a person stops using the salt shaker, he'll lose 8 lbs the first month, again from water-weight retention.

Now how about some hot after photos?!
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Awesome job....keep it up!

:beer:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Congrats, Chris! That's quite a lot of weight you managed to drop. Very impressive! I know you've got to feel better all around. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Excellant! I'm trying to get my skinny DH to drink pop that is NOT diet. When he weighed in at the Dr.s recently, he lost #20 in the last 2 years. He's #142. 6'1". I seldom drink pop anymore. Funny how that magic # birthday has something to do with our mind set. Congrats on your progress. Maybe our Paths will cross in Lansing. Later, Love, Lisa
P.S. Photos of Chris with Katie and then again with Kim and Tulips were taken at Hosta College. Group shot was WSM.
Attachments
Chris & Katie 04.jpg
Chris & Katie 04.jpg (20.7 KiB) Viewed 8081 times
Kim & Chris.jpg
Kim & Chris.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
WSM hallson shot II.jpg
WSM hallson shot II.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

I figured it was MEAN to display those OLD photos of Chris when he was thicker....I'll just post a couple of thicker photos of me and one with me and Kim before we did something about changing our figures. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
DSCF5074.JPG
DSCF5074.JPG (49.63 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
norma n Lisa.jpg
norma n Lisa.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 8066 times
Ref_fountain top 011.jpg
Ref_fountain top 011.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 8066 times
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
New Topic Post Reply