What crafts does everyone do?

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

barbiespoodle

Post by barbiespoodle »

Jane, I also learned the hard way not to promise when something will be done. That birth annoucement, if you notice the kid was born in 2000, I only finished it a few months ago, lol. Now I do my gifts in secret, that way if they don't get finished, no one is the wiser.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

LOL......... I totally understand that too! I did one (or shall we say started it in 1999, and never finished it! although I was smarter that time. Left the name for last and figured if it didn't get done for that child, there'd always be another! Especially since there are 17 grandchildren us 5 kids had for mom & dad! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

Adding cross stitch to my list! I'm teaching myself on plastic canvas right now, and loving it! I have to use a lighted magnifing glass to do it, but I just happened to already have one :) I first tried using regular cross stitich fabric, and just couldn't see and handle it well enough. Too frustrating as a beginner! I found the plastic canvas ornaments on sale for $0.54 after Christmas, so I picked up enough to make one for each person on my list. I decided on the simplest one and started in. Looked crappy to start with, but once it started filling in, it looks really cool :cool: Even DS18.99 thinks so :D
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it! It's nice to have something to do while others want to watch tv :)
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

Jane, I AM loving it! I've been working on them weekly, sometimes daily.... whenever I have time for a thread or two :D

I made Egg Trees for Easter.... I guess that's listed under "general crafting" :wink:
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well????? Where's the pictures! :)
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

The Egg Tree was made with items purchased at the dollar store.... I made 6, different colors. I'd show ya but my camera battery is dead :blush:

Cross stitch Partaridge in a Pear Tree is one of about a dozen. The color isn't right in this picture, should be much brighter.

Still figuring out camera :oops:
Attachments
cross stitch sample
cross stitch sample
Egg Tree
Egg Tree
My Page

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

They're both sweet! Love that robin egg blue color..........been seeing it a lot in houses lately! Reminds of the 50's! :)
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

I've been making costume jewelry for YEARS. I make mostly earrings and pins. Recently, I've been taking glass classes. I make lampwork beads and now fused glass. Here is my dish. My hosta partner in crime, Kim, bought a kiln so now there is no stopping us from making bigger and better beads and fused tableware. I'll probably make windchimes. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
shlumped dish.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Beautiful! And what fun, having a 'partner' in crime to work with! Everyone needs a 'buddy' for crafts! It's so much more fun to share a hobby, then to create on your own, don't you think?
critter-ridder
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: What crafts does everyone do?

Post by critter-ridder »

I enjoy rug hooking. I case out all the local thrift stores and purchase wool skirts to make the rugs. Here are a few examples of what I have made:

Thanks for letting me share!

Queenie
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Those rugs look really nice Queenie! That must take quite a bit of time to do those - look like a great winter project :D
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

How beautiful. I love your designs and your colors. Your pieces are art. It is nice when you create something utilitarian and beautiful.
My mom is a rug hooker and in her younger days, taught Colonial rug hooking. I can remember going to the thrift stores and some stores in downtown Philadelphia where the fabric "fell off the truck" to get wool for projects. That was our Saturday afternoon excursion. I helped her dye wool, too. Do you do that? It is a lot of work, but you get some nice colors.
Glo
critter-ridder
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by critter-ridder »

Yes, it is a great winter project. Too busy with hostas in spring and summer...and playing golf and playing bridge and babysitting my grandchildren. I do dye my own wool. Sometimes I think I enjoy dyeing the wool more than the actual hooking. You never know what will come out of the dye pot!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

How beautiful your work is! Love the designs and colors......thanks for sharing!

I just started making "stone-felted bags"...after seeing it described in the "Detroit Free Press". I bought the roving on eBay...and I just happen to have quite an excess of stones in my gardens! It's such a simple process...would be great for a bunch of youngin's to do. After having the roving to make them for several months, I took it with me on a visit to my sister in AZ. On the last day of my visit, we remembered it...and planned to each make a couple...I made 14, and she made 10!! It was so much fun!

I also make and sell stone/glass jewelry, and crochet crazy hats and scarves to sell. It's wonderful to loose yourself in a project after a tough day!

I always am happy when old-timey busy-hand projects are still being done! Too many of today's kids have no exposure to beautiful old crafts.....Pam :wink: :wink:
I have been gardening as long as I can remember! After 25 years as florist, changed careers to teach in Ornamental Horticulture class at a vocational school. Been there almost 22 yrs......always learning.....always learning.....always learning.....
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Your rugs are gorgeous! How talented you are! Thanks for sharing pics of your work. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

critter-ridder, where are you located?! Not only are your rugs beautiful, but you golf too! lol. Do you sell your rugs?!

petal-pusher, I'd love to see your stone-felted bags! I saw some felted items recently and they were very pretty (crocheted and knitted hats, scarves, etc., that were pretty both before and after felting!).

I do a little bit of a lot of things... like crochet and painting when I'm in the mood, but lately I'd definitely consider myself a basket-weaver. I've been weaving for 10 years, but doing more as the years go on.

Here are a few baskets I've woven in the past year. I love an opportunity to show somebody! :)

A Cherokee Double Wall basket. That means it's been woven twice: first weave the inside of the basket, and then weave the outside. It allows you to create different patterning on the inside and outside. I entered this in the "Fiber Techniques - Accessories" category at the NYS Fair this year, and it took 2nd place:

This is an arm basket I made for myself to lug my stuff (and lunch) back and forth to work. It's *perfect* for the task! I entered it in the "Basket Weaving - Original Design" category at the NYS Fair this year, and it took 1st place. I need to get a new photo though! this one doesn't show the v-knot that I added to the handle:

And this Adirondack Pack Basket is the most recent thing I made. I'll think about entering it in next year's NYS Fair. lol! I custom-fitted it to me, and made the harness too. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Your baskets are amazing and you can do so many different kinds. They are just beautiful and so intricate. Do you do them to sell or do any of the craft shows in your area?
Glo
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks, govgirl. :) That's the thing I like best about weaving: the wide variety of materials, techniques, and styles. I prefer to design my own baskets and make them "one of a kind". There are still a few things on my "must try" list, and I even planted a willow bed this year. lol!

I have sold a lot of my baskets -- all proceeds for charity. I also donate to charity events (for raffles, doorprizes, etc.). I teach weaving at the city's Art Center, and did a month-long exhibit of my baskets there last February. That was exciting for me. :beer: If I wasn't working full-time, I'd probably do some craft shows or think about setting up a little shop.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

WOW. There are such talented people here. I just told a friend of mine that so many of my hosta gardening friends are so talented. I would never attempt to make a hat, or carve. Not my kind of thing. But hand me some rags and I will make a rug. :lol: I have a Union Custom Loom and working on refurbishing a second one. Before I had the loom going I was making Amish Knot Rugs. Also hubby's aunt is teaching me to paint. I have grown alot of birdhouse gourds and she is teaching me to paint them. Nice spending time getting to know her since hubby and I have only been married 1 1/2 years now.

I just found this forum. AWESOME
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply