Creating a stained glass window effect

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

CarolA

Creating a stained glass window effect

Post by CarolA »

I have this crazy idea that I want to paint designs on some windows to make it look like stained glass. Is there something that I can purchase or make at home that can be mixed with craft paint to create the look of stained glass? If you use just paint it looks tacky. The small bottles of paint meant for glass are not cheap if you need to use a lot. Any suggestions?
Justme

Post by Justme »

There is a product (sorry don't remember the name) sold at craft stores, i.e. Michaels's, Hobby Lobby. It isn't too bad on the $. I believe you can even paint on plastic sheets and lay that on the glass. That way your windows aren't forever painted. But anyway, there are patterns and liquid leading and paint you just get what you need.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Home Depot or Lowe's carries rolls of something like a thin vinyl that 'clings' to the window. It is available in a variety of tinted, frosted, and stained glass effects. You just cut it the size of the window and press it on. We bought the frosted kind and put it on the garage window so people can't see in, but we still get light through it. It's been there for 2 years now and even with the extreme temps in the garage in summer and winter it has never come off. But if we want to take it off it peels off easily and there is no residue.

It's not a 'crafty' solution like painting, but thought I'd share it.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

yes, what 'justme' is talking about is called Gallery Glass.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I used to paint store shop windows for holidays and used the basic acrylic paint you can get a Michaels. One year we did our own due to my Grandmother was coming for a visit.
PM me if you want photos.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply