Purse made with special quilting design.

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Squash Blossom

Purse made with special quilting design.

Post by Squash Blossom »

I handraised an American robin earlier this year and decided to make a purse out of some kind of fabric that would remind me of Rocky. I found this fabric on Ebay for practically nothing - it is part of a 50-state birds set sold for quilting...you'd have 50 different designs if you did a whole state birds quilt using fabrics by this particular artist.

The fabric was a lightweight cotton but I interfaced everything using fusible fleece, then I machine quilted around each bird.

I think I've had more fun with this purse than anything I've ever made. Notice the robin's head peeking up out of the front pocket! :wink:
Attachments
DSC01334 (resized).jpg
DSC01334 (resized).jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
DSC01333 (resized).jpg
DSC01333 (resized).jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
DSC01333 RobinPocketDetail (resized).jpg
DSC01333 RobinPocketDetail (resized).jpg (28.52 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Way too cute! I nearly bought some of that, b/c I thought it would make a neat quilt, then didn't :(

Love the purse! Very :cool: Too bad you couldn't have banded your little guy, to see if he returns to produce more next year! I always wonder about that :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Ah ha! Now I know who you are!! I've been admiring your posts of lovely bags!
This latest one is such a pretty material and so well-pieced together. It's just great how you've gotten the patterns to match!
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

VThosta/daylilylover wrote:Ah ha! Now I know who you are!! I've been admiring your posts of lovely bags!
This latest one is such a pretty material and so well-pieced together. It's just great how you've gotten the patterns to match!
Thanks! Making shoulder bags and purses has kinda' become my hobby. I used to make custom costumes for dogs (mostly Chinese pugs) then I got into purses and now I think I'm addicted!

I donate the majority of my purses to pug rescue fundraisers and am always on the lookout for dog designed fabric. I'm working on something now that has nearly driven me over the edge - a tapestry with the weirdest repeat I have ever had to deal with. I used this fabric before and while I love the finished product, I had sworn-off on the fabric but it was another one I found with all the scraps and remnants the other day.
Attachments
2GU17 Fabric  (resized).jpg
Pug Bag 2.jpg
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

8-) How about if you used 3 of them, 2 on top, one on the bottom type of pattern to make a heart shaped purse? Just a thought anyway :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

wishiwere wrote:8-) How about if you used 3 of them, 2 on top, one on the bottom type of pattern to make a heart shaped purse? Just a thought anyway :D
I've recently been experimenting with some new ideas mainly because I'm kinda' weary of making the same basic style so often. What everyone who has ever seen my purses says they really like is there are seven pockets inside everyone I make, including special pockets for a pen or two and a tube of lipstick. :wink: I made my first purse because I have been purse-organization challenged all my life and the pockets made all the difference in the world, as do the soft, comfortable handles. I even interface the handles with fusible fleece.

I've started doing a little handpainting on purses - nothing major though, and I made several fusing (with heavyduty Stitch Witchery) disassembled silk flowers onto finished purses and that was pretty.

I'm trying to make most of my Christmas presents this year but it's fixing to become a challenge. By Thanksgiving anything I don't have finished won't get finished. :wink:

I don't use a pattern but I'm almost sure there is a cute heart-shaped purse pattern in one of the major pattern books. Wouldn't that be cute for February? Now, see what you've done...yet another idea to think about!! :D I'd be a happy camper if I had enough time to do everything I want to do...and the older I get the faster time flies and the less I get accomplished. :wink:

I might try your idea though. You're saying have two pugs on top and one on the bottom, kinda' using the floral part to form a heart. That would really be a wonderful way to use some of the remnants I have of this fabric.

I was told this was originally an expensive upholstery fabric but the repeat was so crazy that there was too much waste to use it on furniture...and there is. The repeat is just wacky...and while I enjoy the challenge of matching repeats, this one is Excedrin Headache #1!!

Ann
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

That pattern is just too cute. You could also try a trapazoidal shape with the top being the smaller base!
New Topic Post Reply