Scrapbooking

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Scrapbooking

Post by Ginger »

I am sure out of all the crafty people on this forum, someone out there can tell me the best way to get started doing Scrapbooking! With my new digi camera, I have pics piling up and I have always loved the whole scrapbooking idea, so I want to learn how. Rockin Peg, or Peggy C whichever she is now, does alot of digital scrapbooking and her stuff is always marvelous, but I think I want to do the hard copy type with paper, cutouts etc.
How do I proceed?

Ginger
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

I'm beginning to be crazy about scrapbooking. :roll: :roll: :roll: There's a lot of forum of this type on the net and a lot of informations about it. Just Google it and have fun!!! As much as digital scrapbooking (a lot of freebies downloading) and a lot of place where they sell paper, ribbons, etc.... I'm planning to take some courses for my Christmas's gift... Maybe, at this time, I will be able to give advice but at this stage, I'm also learning!!! By the way, I found a store, near where I lived where I can go and use all their material for 2$/hour.... I'm in heaven for the long winter to go... :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Nathalie thanks for responding! I went to the local Hobby Lobby (craft and hobby store) and the amount of stuff and the tools they have is overwhelming! I had no idea where to start and what I really needed to get started! I guess I should try to find a beginners book, or look for some classes in my area.

I too thought it would be a great way to pass the winter and use all the pictures I am taking!
Have fun and let me know how you are doing!

Ginger
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Scrapbooking can be as expensive and time-consuming as you allow it to be. As you saw at the scrapbooking store there are all sorts of tools and supplies.

I started out doing fancy pages and such, but I ended up wanting everything perfect and spending so much time, the pictures piled up faster than I could get the scrapbook pages done. So now I do much simpler pages now. Usually a color theme and pictures cut to various shapes to keep it interesting, and maybe some easy stickers or labels. The most important thing is the JOURNALING! Make sure to include dates, names, and the what or why of the event.

I find that people are interested in the pictures, that's really what they want to see. With really fancy pages people get distracted and end up commenting on the cute little trims and extras on the page, rather than the picture of the adorable baby!

Even my wedding album earlier this year, I used gold and silver backgrounds and kept the focus on the pictures. I found some nice wedding stickers I was able to use and it came out very nice.

Also, don't forget to include things other than pictures. For my wedding album I scanned the "official license" and included it on a page. Also tucked in brochures from the inn we stayed at, etc.

Have fun!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Jane,
Thanks so much for the excellent advice! I admit all the different kinds of paper and all the little "extras" is what looks like the most fun, but also the most overwhealming!
I will take your advice and start simple making the pics the focus and I will remember the journaling!

Are there any specific tools like certain kinds of scissors or tape or punches I should have to start?

Ginger
impatience

Post by impatience »

Ginger, Michael's has alot of scrapbooking supplies too.

I tried to do the scrapbook thing some time ago. I just don't have it. :???: Couldn't for the life of me complete a page. But I do have the 1st 5 years of DD's life all boxed up nice, neat and ready to go! :P Too bad she is 16.

Keep us posted on how it is going. Inquiring minds want to know.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I find that people are interested in the pictures, that's really what they want to see. With really fancy pages people get distracted and end up commenting on the cute little trims and extras on the page, rather than the picture of the adorable baby!
Ginger, I agree with Jane. Even though I digitally scrapbook, I'm still a clean and simple scrapper. For me, its all about the photos!!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I went and looked at the scrapbooking stuff again beacuse I printed my pictures of the Oklahoma Centennial Parade (we are 100 years old today!) and I thought it would be a good project to make my first scrapbook. Anyway, the scapbooks all have the plastic sleeves in them. I know this is a stupid question, but do you just make up your sheets, with pictures etc attached and just slide it in the sleeve?, or do you not use the sleeves at all :roll:
I am hopless :o

Ginger
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Yes, slip the finished page into the sleeve. The sleeves are sold as "Page Protectors". I ALWAYS use them. Without them the pictures, stickers, or other stuff on the page can come loose. I don't get nervous about letting people flip through my books because I know the pictures are safe from people picking at them, them coming loose, or getting something spilled on them.

Put two pages inside each protector, one facing out each side.

Other mandatory things are a good straight-edge cutter and a good pair of scissors. Then decide how you want to attach the pictures. You can use sticky tape or squares. Or if you think you may want to take the pictures out at some time, you can use the corner points that the corners of the picture slip into.

Make sure that all the stickers, paper, markers, etc. that you buy are "acid free". These won't yellow and deteriorate over time (at least not as quickly).

Happy Birthday to Oklahoma! (I break into song every time I say the name of your state. Sorry, I just can't help myself!! ) :D
JaneG
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

JaneG,
Do you use the 12 by 12 pages and are there sheet protectors that large or do you do the 8.5 by 11?
I too started out making everything too fancy and then just gave up :( I really want to return to it this spring when I'm not working. Thanks for all of your tips, they have put my mind in the right direction to get this done! :D
Ceil
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Hi VT! Most of my early scrapbooks are 12x12, and yes, the craft stores have the page protectors in that size, as well as the background papers and such.

I get lots of stuff at Hobby Lobby. Also at Jeffrey Alans and Michaels. Many places carry scrapbooking stuff, including Walmart, but I'm not sure how extensive the selection at Walmart is.

EDIT to add this note: Pay attention to details when you buy refill pages. There are different types of scrapbooks and the pages fasten to the spine in different ways. Some fit over posts, some have wire holders. Select a style and stick with it. Otherwise you might make a page for an album, only to find you can't add the page because it's a different style fastener.
JaneG
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Jane,
Thanks so much for the help! This is great information to get me started. I hope it will make a great winter project.

Ginger
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

New Question!!! What are the transparency thingies with the sayings or designs? How do you use them? I see them in the store, but I can't find anything in my beginner book that tells you how to use them :evil:
I have almost finished laying out my first page :D I am starting my new grandsons ( he is due in the world next week) book . I made my first page with the baby shower pics. So far I like it, but I need to post a picture so I can get some good feedback on the arrangment.

I went to the store twice :lol: :lol: First time I got my album and paper and cutie stuff, the second time I got the things I should have bought first, like sissors, glue, cutting mat, punch, pens, rulers :lol: :lol: If I spend any more money I better make some darn good scrapbooks or DH will kill me :roll:

Thanks in advance for the help :lol:

Ginger
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Hi Ginger! Sounds like you are having fun! It's a neat way to be creative.

Those transparency thingies could be stickers or could be rub-on transfers. I prefer stickers. Some brands of the rub-on transfers work well, others not so well, so I prefer not to take chances and just stick with the stickers.

Show us your pages . . .
JaneG
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Okay, here is my first page. Hope you can see it!
Attachments
Babybook.JPG
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Applause, applause Ginger!! Its all about getting the pictures on the page and you did a great job!!

I have to applaud all of you who paper scrap... I'm just not a scissors, paper and glue kinda gal. :lol:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Peggy!! That means alot coming from you :D
I like the paper better, more hands on. I get really frustrated sometimes with the computer, so this way, I can just walk away for a couple of days if I need to!

Ginger
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh lookie, how special and lots of memories and love!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Gosh Ginger, I'm just now getting back to this post to see your page! :oops:

The baby shower page is beautiful, and I'm so late with this post that the grandson is now a couple months old!!! :roll:

So do you have more pages done??
JaneG
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Good job on the first page! Starting the baby's book with the baby shower is a great idea.

I've never done one, but my sister is the QUEEN of scrapbooking. She even makes custom fabric covers for her books.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply