Apliqued Quilt

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

fullofit

Apliqued Quilt

Post by fullofit »

Since my grandson keeps on growing (he is 6), I got busy this winter to update his quilt.
Jacob and his father go to the zoo a lot, and this zoo theme was very appropriate.
Jacob was real impressed that I was making this quilt just for him.
CHAR
Attachments
quilt 4.jpg
quilt 4.jpg (4.69 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
quilt 3.jpg
quilt 3.jpg (5.23 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
quilt-2.jpg
quilt-2.jpg (3.77 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
2008 quilt.jpg
2008 quilt.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Oh, I wish I could see bigger photos... it looks beautiful! (I can tell that his name is spelled down the left edge). I like anything with animals on it. :)

A quilt is something I've never tried. Maybe some day I will.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Kas

Post by Kas »

That is so awesome, Char! I am so chicken about applique. Is it needle turn or did you do it with your machine? I need to take a needle turn class sometime before I finish piecing my "forever" quilt. That is the one I have been hand piecing for the last three years and still am not even half done! But, WOW! I am really impressed by your zoo quilt.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

I checked the internet for pictures of zoo animals, when I found ones that I thought I could draw freehand, and ones that he had seen, I drew them on a sheet of typing paper. The paper was the right size for all the pieces of the quilt. Then after shopping extensively for zoo pattern cloth, I transferred the image to the cloth , fused interfacing to the back , and cut
them out. I then fused that to a background color. I used my machine zig zag to go around them and sewed all the blocks together with a brick pattern material (to resemble a wall or pathway between each.)

I took the quilt to Jacob tonight. It was wonderful. He was so excited, he couldn't wait to get his hands on the quilt. He laid it out on the couch and checked out each and every block. Then he crawled under it and said how big it was, so big that he could share with his Dad. He even invited his dog up on the couch to share with him.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Try this for enlargement.
Attachments
2-21-08 026.jpg
2-21-08 023.jpg
2-21-08 028.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Justme

Post by Justme »

That is such a cute quilt. You did a wonderful job on it. I bet you grandson will carry it around for years to come.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Char, that is such a great gift of love! That turned out really nice and I'm betting he will love sleeping with his zoo animals.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

That's fantastic! I didn't realize you had done the animals yourself. You chose great fabrics. Just awesome. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Oh that's so sweet, Char! I like how some of the animals extend outside their block . . . like the big elephant and the long-necked giraffe.

Very nice job on the fabric selection, design, and handiwork!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply