Crochet Granny Squares Help

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Crochet Granny Squares Help

Post by Spider »

I've just started trying to add this hobby to my life. I really want to make a granny square afgan, but can't figure out how to get the first circle started. Any time I try I wind up with a yarn bird's nest. I've started a treble crochet blanket just 'cuz it's easy, but I really want the granny square one. I get the pattern of single crochet for 5, (trying to get one bigger to be able to see better what's happening) then connect the circle, but can't get the double crocet into the ring.

This is how the pattern is written:
"with 2 strands "A" (the first color) held together, ch 3. Join with a slip stich to form a ring. (then I can't tell where the middle is, lol)

Rnd 1: Ch 3, 2 dc in ring, this is where it turns into a mess [ch 3, 3 dc in ring] 3 times; end ch 3, join with slip st in top of beg ch. Slip st over next 2 dc, slip st in corner ch 3-space.

I'll start one this weekend and take photos of each step I take, and where I get stumped to help you help me (if anyone out there crochets).

Thanks in advance if anyone is out there, lol :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
KellieD

Re: Crochet Granny Squares Help

Post by KellieD »

I always find the middle by feel. Once you get that first stitch in the middle, the rest follows.

One of my favorite crochet forums is www.chrochetville.org . it is the forum where the professional crochet designers hang out with the hobbyists and they are great about helping with problems. Come check it out.
Every day a new adventure!
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Where it turns into a mess is actually a very simple instruction once you are comfortable reading a crochet pattern. When it is in brackets like that, it just means that you repeat the combination of stitches shown however many times indicated.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Practice with a single strand first until you are comfortable with putting the stitches in the ring. Another option would be to chain however many and instead of joining to make a ring, put the stitches in the chain furthest away from the hook. Might sound screwy, but it works really well.
Spider

Post by Spider »

Hey, I found a thing on u-tube showing how to start a granny square. Unfortunately your link didn't work KellyD. :(

Anyway, here is my first successfull attempt and these are the colors I've chosen for it, two shades of green. :)

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Excellent start! I think you've got it!

NOw on the next row, I think you actually have to cram 6 dc seperated by 3 sc in each of the "holes" you made with the sc on the previous round.

Good luck - you are doing great!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Spider

Post by Spider »

Lol, that and it needs to be square! :lol:

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Cramming the 6 DC with the 3 sc in each hole then 3 sc in between each corner will make it square and provide the space to put the next section of 3 dc on the straight side..... you are on the right track!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Spider

Post by Spider »

Ok, so I made my first square! I undid the circle pictured before and re-started. My tension is a bit wobbly but I've decided this weight of yarn (6) is too bulky for a full size blanket (and I changed colors too soon for the look I want, lol). So, the kitty is going to have a very nice 30x30 blanket for a bed. :) This piece will be the center and I'll do the rest the way it looks in the book.

here's my work:

Here's the pattern I'm shooting for:

And the blanket I've grown up with:

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I love granny squares. So warm and cozy. When I first learned to crochet I made a huge pile of granny squares with a varigated yellow/gold/orange yarn (the "in" colors at the time). I was probably in junior high at the time. The squares were all in a bag, one of many unfinished projects. Well, years later I left home. Mom found the squares and bless her heart, she joined them all together and then gave me my granny squares, all stitched together in blanket!

Yours is looking good. It doesn't really start to look "square" until the third trip around. But once you get the knack it's SO EASY. You might play with different size hooks if you think the weight of yarn is causing problems, adjust til you get a combination of yarn and hook that works.

Be sure to post a picture when you finish!!! Can't wait to see it.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply