vintage wool sweaters.....

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

petal*pusher

vintage wool sweaters.....

Post by petal*pusher »

I was home on the couch with back problems several days...had been wanting to try making some goodies with the old wool sweaters I'd purposely shrunk down in the washing machine a few months ago. Finally had some time to try some ideas!

Everything's hand-stitched...had a great time seeing the little "personalities" emerge!!

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/577159983niRPCd
I have been gardening as long as I can remember! After 25 years as florist, changed careers to teach in Ornamental Horticulture class at a vocational school. Been there almost 22 yrs......always learning.....always learning.....always learning.....
Hapygdnr

Re: vintage wool sweaters.....

Post by Hapygdnr »

These are really cute! Did you come up with your own pattern too? In the contrasting areas, say the the spots on the bunnies, did you simply blanket stitch around the edge, or something else to keep from raveling? I guess if they were just decorative, edges might not be a concern... but if little hands were going to play with them... then maybe fray check or the like?

Thanks for showing us your creations. You made quite a few... lots of personalities. And defintely kept you busy a while. What does your kitty think of them? Looks as though she (or maybe he) isn't quite sure. It's fun to be creative and "repurpose" things so they are more useful and interesting and give us more pleasure.

Jeanne
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Glad you like 'em!! Yes...I did make up my own patterns for all of them.

That orange sweater had been planned for pumpkins in the fall...but somehow the carrots won over! They are all completely hand stitched, then turned inside-out, stuffed, then finished. The carrots and chicks faces have been needle-felted with roving. The bunnies with the spots have also had the roving needle-felted on. That little brown one with the white spots seemed to be everyone's favorite...and sold first. I did make 4 that had embroidered eyes (French knots) instead of the buttons that went into babies Easter baskets!

I took 16 bunnies, 6 carrots, and the 2 chicks to work to show what I'd been doing.....came home with 3 bunnies, 2 carrots, and no chicks! I've made 14 more bunnies this week...each one is different...some even have hats or flowers by their ears! My intention for even making all of these critters was to have my daughter sell them in the vintage store she has just opened in Portland, Or.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 523?ref=mf

I'm thinking seriously of retirement...then moving out there...and was trying to figure out what I can do to bring in a little $$$!! These are so fun to make...and I'm trying some other ideas for more goodies.

(Oh...and both cats have tried to steal these little fellas away...but seem to have as much fun with the scraps!
I have been gardening as long as I can remember! After 25 years as florist, changed careers to teach in Ornamental Horticulture class at a vocational school. Been there almost 22 yrs......always learning.....always learning.....always learning.....
Kas

Post by Kas »

Those are just awesome! I'm sure they will sell well. etsy is another place to maybe sell them.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Your bunnies and "accessories" are wonderful!!! I love the bunny pattern that you came up with, and I can't believe you knocked them all out in just a few days. You need to develop sets for each of the holidays. :)

Considering the cost of your materials and time, what kind of prices did you set?
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply