My 2010 NYS Fair entries

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

My 2010 NYS Fair entries

Post by party_music50 »

It's *tough* deciding what to enter! This is my 3rd year.... there are two basket competitions, some fiber techniques competitions, and a few other categories I can manage (like miniatures).

My basketry entries are an Appalachian-style 36-rib buttocks basket (original design) and "Amish Tray" (commercial source -- meaning that I used someone else's pattern):

My fiber techniques entries are a miniature waxed linen basket (accessories) and a pendant (wearable)... it's a piece of seaglass I found that I captured in knotless-netting and made the cordage hanger... I call it my "pickle necklace" and I LOVE it!!! :)

My final entry is a miniature blackberry basket... and I haven't taken a photo yet!

Wish me luck!!!!!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: My 2010 NYS Fair entries

Post by govgirl75 »

They are wonderful. You have a real gift for this craft. Good luck with the competition.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Wow! Once again you have stunning entries and I expect some Blue Ribbons!! :D

Buttocks Basket!! :lol: I've seen them, but never knew what they were called!! Perfect name! :lol: :lol:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, I'm cracking up at the buttocks basket too :lol: Good luck with all your entries. That pendant is neat too :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow! Your going to get blue ribbons for sure!!!! I love them all!! They are are beautiful! Love the pickle necklace, too!
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thank you all for the nice comments and good wishes!!!

A friend at work talked me into entering the Fair three years ago... I think I set the bar too high at the start, because with 5 entries I took 4 blues and a red (where no blue was awarded). Last year was my 2nd year to enter and I took 2 blues, 2 reds, and a 4th place... yellow, I think? In both cases my blue ribbons were in the two basketry categories, so I figure I should keep entering and "upping the notch" to show just what I can do with basketry. lol! I noticed a HUGE jump in the number of entries last year and they even changed the way that baskets are displayed at the Fair! I think my pushing the competition is great for the art (or craft).... they say that there are only about 10K basket weavers in this country.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Forgot to address the "buttocks"! LOL! Don't you just LOVE the name?! and it feels great in my hands. LOL!

Whenever someone sees the basket they immediately blurt out: "It looks just like a BUTT!" (then I tell them, of course ;^)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Let's see what you have entered for this year?? I love your weaving and tell them it's not a butt but boobies!! :lol:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply