Refinishing Antiques

Ask craft related questions, share your current projects, your dream project, or show us your talent!

Moderators: Chris_W, Soummer

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Refinishing Antiques

Post by kHT »

With the moving out of our youngest, it was time to refinish some of the antiques and DH thinks I have found another calling. After painting the 2 empty rooms there is now room to set up my arts and craft room so it was time to really redo some of the furniture. I started off with the bed and dresser which lead to the bookcases, drying rack, both dining room sets, with one set needing to have the chairs recovered due to the leather was in bad shape. When son stopped by last week he asked if I would love to refinish a dresser for him in my spare time? So I started on this this last weekend.
Attachments
Chair leather
Chair leather
20110830_100b.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
Oldest dining room set.
Oldest dining room set.
20110830_102b.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
New Bedroom refinished/bed and dresser
New Bedroom refinished/bed and dresser
20110830_110b.jpg (6.18 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
kHT

Re: Refinishing Antiques

Post by kHT »

More photos. I have also gotten out the old quilts that have been passed down and re steamed them all and put them in Storage bags. Just keeping busy here!
Attachments
Refinished chair cushions
Refinished chair cushions
20110830_128b.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
DS's dresser
DS's dresser
20110905_62b.jpg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Wow, that's impressive. Having refinished some antiques with my Mom, I know how tough it can be. Looks beautiful.
Owen
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Nice work. It is so rewarding to turn a sad looking piece into a lovely restored one.
When H and I got married 37 years ago, we had lots of pieces picked up at flea markets, auctions, trash heaps. We spent hours refinishing and repairing them. We use those pieces still. We were students back then and had more time than money, so it seemed a good way to go. Now that we are retired, we should probably get the stripper and blades out again and work on some new pieces. Another activity for our "spare time". :D
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thank you both! It's a labor of love with the wood I think I got from my Grandfather? I have more pieces on the PB site. I'm doing my fall cleaning according to the family.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply