Scheherazade, Anyone?

Use this forum to discuss lilies (Lilium species).

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Scheherazade, Anyone?

Post by nanny_56 »

I was wondering if anyone has grown "Scheherazade"? I planted one last fall, I have 2 buds waiting for bloom. Also, my 2nd year for my "Star Gazer". I was not to impressed with it last summer, are they slow to mature or do I have bad bulbs? :???:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Yes I've got Scheherazade and it is really impressive, especially this year. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow and post them. I think you'll like it once it gets established, which from my experience, could take several years.

Jeanne
shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by shadylanejewel »

This is the first year I've gotten to see mine bloom - last year the deer ate the buds off several of my new lilies.

Doesn't show up well but the back part of the petals is quite yellow not the cream color in the photo.

Very pretty - so far not a strong fragrance.
Attachments
Scheherazade.jpg
Scheherazade.jpg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

They respond magnificently to soil amendments, water and fertilizer. Saw some yesterday that were 8' tall. Yes, 8'! In my own garden I have seen only @5'.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

The thing with lilies that most people don't realize is that the bulb roots are mostly for anchorage. The roots that form along the stem in the top 4" or so of soil are the ones that bring the nutrients to the plant. So, as Viktoria said, they respond well to mulching, composting, watering, etc.

My Scheherazade had 37 blossoms on an 7' tall plant in its third year. They love, love a compost mulch.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Mine is in bloom! Thank you all for the tips on ammendments and such will be sure to add compost this year!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It's beautiful! :cool:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply