Hummingbirds and pulmonarias...

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Hummingbirds and pulmonarias...

Post by doublemom2 »

Last evening I saw standing at my kitchen window talking away to KellieD on the phone when I saw something buzzing all around a pulmonaria right outside the window. Geez!!! I didn't have my glasses on and could only assume that it was a hummer going to town on the pulmonaria flowers. I had my girls bring me my glasses, and they saw the hummer, but it flew away before I could get my glasses on.

I guess I never knew that they liked pulmonarias, but it makes sense because of the shape of the flowers. Even though I only saw a "blob" buzzing around, it made my day :) :) :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Andi,

The pulmonarias are one of the first things to feed our hummingbirds in the spring too :D I know they like some of the spring flowering bulbs too, but those clumps of Pulmonarias with all those flowers must be a feast to them.

A couple years ago we saw the hummers on our pulmonarias right around this time, which seemed a little early for us. I remember it snowed one night and was shocked to see the hummingbirds outside the next morning flying around those pink and blue flowers with snow all over the ground around them :wow:
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

I have quite a few Pulmonarias, so I hope the Hummers like them. I saw our first Hummer yesterday at one of the feeders.
Lovin' the great northwest!
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Okay then, I'm adding Pulmonaria to this year's list. I've got 2 but have never noticed any hummers buzzing them. I must need bigger clumps. :)
New Topic Post Reply