A few recommendations, please....

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

jebouck

A few recommendations, please....

Post by jebouck »

Hello all!
Being fairly new to shade gardening (and to this forum), can someone recommend a few shade plants to go with my Hosta collection?
I live in Zone 5, and the shade varies from dense to dappled. The shade is provided by Blue Spruce to Maple trees. (I know, maples are a pain, but I have to work with what I have.) I have 30 or so Hostas under them and they are healthy--(So far :) :) )
But I'd like to try a few other plants besides the Hostas.
Thanks for helping a newby! :D :roll:
jb
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Hi - welcome!! :P

Heucheras, heucherellas, tiarellas, ferns, pulmonarias, brunneras, astilbes, lady's mantle [needs fairly good light], toad lilies..............off the top of my head.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions. I have all of these except pulmonarias & toad lilies.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by shadylanejewel »

In addition to the great suggestions by renaldo75 -

Aconitum (monkshood), Astrantia (masterwort), Cimicifuga (bugbane), corydalis, dicentra (bleeding heart), epimedium (barrenwort, bishops hat), Helleborus, Japanese painted fern, ligularia (ragwort), polygonatum (solomon's seal), and roscoea

Went through Hallsons' perennial list - all are available from Chris & Brian including renaldo's suggestions.

Not available from Hallsons but a must for any shade garden are Anemone nemerosa, Trilliums, Erythroniums and Cyclamen hederifolium

And a Big Welcome to the Best Forum on the Net! :D
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Would agree with both Ren and Shady on their recommendations. Welcome also.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Given the potential for root problems you might want to try some plants that will grow well with root competition. Lamium creeps across the surface and will grow even in difficult spots. Corydalis lutea grows fine under maples and reseeds nicely where other things might not grow. Phlox divaricata is another plant that I've had good luck growing under maples. I love the variety 'Montrose Tricolor' as it has variegated foliage and fragrant flowers in spring.

Good luck growing your hostas. You will need to lift and replant every 2 years to prevent the tree roots from strangling your plants. If you keep up with it they are possible to grow there, just takes a LOT of effort.

Welcome :)

Chris
New Topic Post Reply