Plants for deep shade?

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Wheasie

Plants for deep shade?

Post by Wheasie »

Hello all,

It has been awhile since I've been on the forums.... I will be moving in July (taking ALL of my hostas with me). My new abode is heavily treed - we will eliminate some of the smaller and/or more "sickly" ones but I will still have lots of heavy shade. Any suggestions for shade that gets no sun (north side of house)?

Thanks much!
Wheasie
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

I have quite a few hostas in deep shade that seem to do well. Bleeding Hearts do extremely well on the north side of my house too, as do a few Astilbe. However, I seem to grow a lot of moss too...don't know if you're interested in it, but the Chickadees sure love it, they hang around my house constantly. :D
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

When you say deep shade do you mean that there is no reflected light in the area, so it is shaded by the house and trees every hour of the day and it is dark all the time? Or is the house the only part providing the shade so there is reflected light in this spot?

If it is deep shade you can grow Hostas, Tiarella, Pulmonaria, Dicentra, Ferns, Aruncus, and other plants like that for full shade. If you get some reflected light in there you could add astilbe and if it gets some peaks of the sun you could try Heuchera.

There really are a lot of perennials you should be able to grow there.

We were excited about our tall building providing a lot of shade on the north side but now that we are moved in here we discovered that it actually faces northwest and gets the blistering hot afternoon and evening sun... So now we are considering a shade structure back there to cool it off some.

Good luck with your move, but I think you will find that your hostas will enjoy having more shade, and will find a lot of companions to go with them! :)

Chris
New Topic Post Reply