Unknown Virus found in Tricyrtis (toad lilies)

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I don't have any toad lillies ,but it is a plant that I was thinking of adding to my garden. They certainly are lovely.
Now I'm not sure what to do???? :roll:

As usual ,Chris, you are on top of things and keep us all very well informed. Your honesty and integrity make you a top nurseryman, imo. Thanks for your diligence and concern for your customers. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Chris,

I would keep them...but as a hybridizer I'm worried about the virus crossing over. I have to be careful.

Kent
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Good point Kent! You sure have to be careful about that.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o No toad lilies Joan?? :eek: You must get some.....just get what Chris has.....oh, I just love them.....I think for *me* I think it's okay that I have one virused plant.....I know I have one for sure, and will watch all the different varieties that I have......I better go read this whole thread again to see if I am the kind of person (regular old gardener) that needs to get rid of my plant......But Joan, you really need them...:lol:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

You know, I rarely come into this forum, not sure why, just watching too many of the others I suppose. But someone mentioned back a ways, that it might be a good idea to post this to the hosta forum, or a note pointing back to here?

Might be a good thing to get more attention to those that have them in their gardens currently :( Thankfully I don't yet, and now I'll wait to hear what turns up from this.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
moon

Post by moon »

Thanks for the info Chris! :D I love my toad lilies and I don't think they have it, but I'll keep my eyes open for signs!
mcplant

Host specific?

Post by mcplant »

Is the Tricyrtis virus specific or can it affect hostas and others?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

So far I've only found it in Tricyrtis but without knowing exactly what type of virus this is it would be impossible to know for sure if it will spread to other plants and which kinds. I've tested Dicentra, hosta, ligularia and corydalis that were growing in and around infected toad lilies and none carried this virus. But it spreads quite easily to most toad lilies. Just look on the internet and you will found tons of infected pictures, many with new names as if they are new cultivars :(

Hope that helps.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply