Need some ideas/help

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

mooie

Need some ideas/help

Post by mooie »

I have a semi-circle bed around a Bridal Wreath Spirea I put in a couple years ago. Behind the spirea is the neighbors mess of honeysuckle bushes, mulberrys and assorted other junk. However, roots have taken over the entire bed and are choking out my hosta pretty bad. My idea is to remove the hosta that's in there and replace them with hopefully some more aggressive plants that can compete with the invading root mass. I hate to take it all apart so I'm hoping you can help me! :???:

mooie
~Imagine~
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

What about the possibility of replanting your hostas in pots, Mooie? You could remove soil & put the pots at a lower level, then fill in with mulch. Just a thought. I have several large beds in front of my spirea hedge on the east side of my yard & the spirea is a beautiful backdrop for the hostas.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
mooie

Post by mooie »

Thanks Ren, for answering my post. I decided tonite to take your advice and dig up the bed. So far I have half done and will go searching for some bigger pots tomorrow. Think (or hope) that it works! :D

mooie
~Imagine~
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That's what I'm going to end up doing under my crab apple tree. I just don't know where I'll get enough big pots since there are no landscaping places in SW Iowa. :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

there are no landscaping places in SW Iowa. :eek:

Ren pack up your bags and move to Wisconsin, we have lots of places around here.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well technically one but it's at least an hour away - the motherstore of a chain called Earl May Nursery. There used to be stores in both of the towns 20-25 mi east & west of where I live, and one about 45 min NW of here. But there's no profit in landscaping stores out here in the middle of nowhere so they closed all 3 several years ago. :???: They even closed some of their stores in the larger cities too. And they could be the poster child for overpriced perennials - hostas especially. The only time I ever bought any hostas from them was when the one west of me was going out of business & all of their perenials were 1/2 off of 1/2 price. THEN there were some good bargains. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Yep, I lost a few good hosta to the spirea a few years back. Never could figure out what did it. But nothing grows under them under you dig out the soil and start over ever year. :( Or plant them far enough away.

Get some picture after you are finished. Be pretty to see it. Do you leave it natural, or clip it as a hedge? the bridal wreath I mean?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply