European Ginger: sudden death

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

European Ginger: sudden death

Post by Tigger »

We had two nice patches of this along the front walk, just where it meets the porch. One side is lovely, and the other, over the span of mere weeks (maybe 5), faded and died completely. The hosta next to it seems no worse for wear.

Possible causes:
The cat was bedding down there? But we never saw her there until after it was all dead (and flat).
The cat was doing other things there? But it didn't look "littered" or scratched.
Drowned from a poorly draining gutter? But we hadn't had that many pounding rains. (and i cleaned the drain before the stuff was completely dead, and it did not attempt a come-back)
or ????

Given the expense of this stuff (I've never figured out why), I hate to purchase plants for replanting. And until I have some idea of the cause, I hate to take the risk. I'm even worried about putting a hosta in that spot. So much for symmetry at the porch.

Thanks for any hints you can give.

David
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I would remove and replace all the soil from the area down to 8". Before adding new soil, pour lots of water in the hole and check for drainage: if water stands in the hole for an hour or more, that may have been the problem.

Ginger likes acidic soil. Use peat moss and compost (composted cow manure if you do not have home-made stuff).

I have three smallish plants I'll send you if you will pay the postage.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Thanks, Viktoria. I'll do some soil excavation tomorrow, and see what's rotten in Denmark.
New Topic Post Reply