Arisaema Question

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Arisaema Question

Post by pauhaus »

Hi all,

Can anyone give me some advice about moving arisaema and growing them in pots? I have several that I had to move this weekend. I think most are consanguineum, and I have put them in a pot with some damp potting soil for the time being. They still have foliage left but the leaves are beginning to fade. Can I replant them in pots and overwinter them? Any suggestions? Thanks much. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Yes! I overwinter dozens of arisaema in pots, here in the rainy Pac Northwest. I also grow loads of arisaema seedlings and I treat the babies the same way. I use a well draining potting soil. If I can't find what I like, I just use a regular potting soil and add in some perlite for drainage.

The trick with arisaema is to leave the pots somewhere dry overwinter, where they won't be constantly rained or snowed on. I keep mine either in my unheated greenhouse or under the eaves of my house on the opposite side from where most of our weather comes from. Keep the potting soil just barely damp and they should do fine. I'm not sure what zone you're in, so if you get super-cold, I'd try to protect them either in a shed or unheated garage.

Good luck!
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hey Andi, thanks much for the reply. I love them and would hate to do anything to mess them up. I really like them in the garden but they are sometimes hard to see up close, I thought growing them in pots would make it easier to view. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
New Topic Post Reply