Staghorn fern help!?!?!

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Staghorn fern help!?!?!

Post by doublemom2 »

Someone gave us a huge staghorn fern over the summer because they were moving, and it was outside on our patio in shade. I completely forgot about it and it got hit with frost several nights. Now it's looking really dark and icky... Does anyone know how I can rehab it? I'm not sure whether to cut off all the black fronds or leave them on? I don't know much about them, I just really want to try to save this one.

Any ideas?

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
DryGulch

Black and icky

Post by DryGulch »

I guess anything black and icky I trim back to the firm parts! :lol: You'll know in a week of two, if it is alive and healthy, I would think it will pretty quickly send up some new growth. AND...move it indoors...
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Andi, best of luck! We lost ours to frost last year, not a pretty site.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hmmm....one of my favorite ferns! I'd at least give it a fightin' chance by carefully trimming back the long fronds that are attached to the round discs at the base.

Water 'im good, and see if there is still any life left. I left 2 of my gigantic Christmas cacti out one year in the frosty temps...they both surprised me by blossoming nicely in Dec.!

The staghorn is aptly named! Those long antler-shaped fronds are supposed to be the male part of the plant and the round discs at the base (that hold on to whatever vehicle it's planted on) are the female. Neat plant...hope you can save it! (ALL of us have done this same thing!)....p :roll:
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Staghorns need to be inside through the winter. Grampa had a fabulous one that resided in his heated greenhouse. They also love humidity.
New Topic Post Reply