Brunneras

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

DryGulch

Brunneras

Post by DryGulch »

I think brunneras are a wonderful genus of plants. I grew them when I lived in IL which was almost a zone and 1/2 warmer than where I live now.

I brought a small piece of one north, but it continually struggled. I moved it a couple times but it wasn't happy and finally dwindled away.

I am interested in those of your experiences in zone 4 and colder. The macrophylla is listed to zone 3, but as someone somewhere has stated, "Plants don't always read the USDA zone charts!"

So who here has a gorgeous brunnera, and which one, in zone 3 or 4? I am thinking of trying them again.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Brunneras should be hardy through zone 4, unless one of the new cultivars is less so. The likeliest cause for their "dwindling away" is inconsistent moisture. They do not tolerate going dry at all.

Since I have lived here on the farm (24 years), we have gone from zone 4 (-27) gradually to zone 5 (-17) until the last two years, when the farm appears to have been moved to another planet.
Attachments
BrunneraLookingGlass.JPG
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

The key to winter survival, like Viktoria mentioned, is that they can't dry out. The easiest solution is to make sure the crowns are completely covered, even if you just apply a light winter mulch.

When we plant we bury our Brunnera around 1 to 2" below the soil. In the garden I also cover them with another 1" of mulch each fall. So long as the crown isn't exposed you shouldn't have any winter issues with these plants.

By the way, since we started burying these deeply we have also stopped watering them in the summer and they seem happier than ever :)

Good luck!

Chris
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

The depth thing and mulching is interesting, Chris, as when I grew them in IL they didn't always get enough water yet would spring back when they did. The organic component of mulching the crowns might be significant as I have no leaves here and had plenty in IL which I raked or chopped into my beds.
New Topic Post Reply