Bloodroot

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

HostaDesigner

Bloodroot

Post by HostaDesigner »

It's a shame this plant only has 3-4 days of really showy blooms per year. Still, a welcome display each spring!

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Very nice!

I can enjoy it more than 3-4 days here....I can go back and look at your pic every day for a whole week if I want to! :lol:

Nice pic...glad you shared it! I have not seen this one.... :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

One of my favorites. I brought some from my gardens in PA and the single ones bloomed a few weeks ago. The double only has one bloom that I can see and it looks like it will open in the next day or so.
Robyn - Zone 7b
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Very nice pic of one of my favorite spring bloomers. I was really excited to see a huge clump of these next to the fence in a small wooded drainage area at the north edge of our farm. The summer after we moved in, the township had decided to widen our road. They started from the north end of the road, and I didn't know what they were up to until they had reached the edge of our place. You guessed it...they scraped that whole ditch right up to the fence. To make matters worse, they piled up all the brush right on top of the fence and burned it. I was sure the bloodroot was gone, never to be seen again. Several years later, I went to look, and there was a tiny patch just under the fence. It has since spread, and I've also taken a few (from our side of the fence!) and put them in my yard, and also shared them with family and friends, so that if this happens again, there is still a remnant of that colony growing.
The patch in my garden has been quietly spectacular this year. The heat of the last two days has pretty much sent them on their way, but they were lovely.
Thanks for the pic, HD. I didn't think to take a pic of mine.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply