Anyone have an Aucuba???

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

flowerchild59

Anyone have an Aucuba???

Post by flowerchild59 »

I just bought this shade tolerant shrub aucuba japonica and am smitten with the speckled foliage.
Was just wondering if anyone has it in the real world and how they like it.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I looked it up and it looks neat but then in different references it says zone 6 or a couple even said zone 7 so it won't be taking up residence here any time soon... Too bad as I'm always looking for different shade plants.
Robyn

Re: Anyone have an Aucuba???

Post by Robyn »

I had one in a protected area in Central PA. I think we were considered zone 6+ there. Here in North Carolina they grow without problem. The deer don't seem to bother them either.

I had to edit this statement because I moved the aucuba in the fall and the deer ate/tore all the foliage off them during the winter. They were supposed to be deer resistant.
Robyn - Zone 7b
gibson1971

Post by gibson1971 »

flowerchild59 wrote:I just bought this shade tolerant shrub aucuba japonica and am smitten with the speckled foliage.
Was just wondering if anyone has it in the real world and how they like it.
Hi,

I have just registered and noticed your query. I know it is a little too late seeing that it is now April '09. I am developing a Japanese garden that now has a hedge of mini speckled Aucubas. My wife and I love them as they are attractive but effective, with very little care needed. We plan to extend them to go around part of the pond. I have some pics of our garden which show the aucubas. Would you like to see them? The garden is not finished and is probably about half way through.

Matt
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. This is a wonderful site to visit.
Yes, I would love to see your pics. I am in the process of making a water garden area with a oriental theme slant to it and would love to get ideas.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I was just down in North Carolina last week and saw this plant at the Botanical Garden we visited. I was quite taken with it, but wondered if it would grow here. I'm in Zone 5, so I'm thinking that it might not survive our winter. Too bad. I found it to be very attractive!
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
loyal & true
USDA Zone: 7aOklahoma

Post by loyal & true »

Hello!
I am a longtime reader of the hosta forum, but today I visited some of the other sites, too. I have an acuba that is probably 5x5x5, is in total shade and absolutely needs no care at all. Unfortunately, when I transplanted it years ago I wasn't thinking that it might grow (hmm--not very smart of me) and I'm afraid it won't be around much longer because I need more room for my hosta! My son wants it for his yard so I will try to move it in the fall and hope it lives because they are truly beautiful shrubs. What I like most about them is the gold specks. Because my yard is in such deep shade, most of my plants are just green and I find myself craving "color."I've never seen dwarf acuba, but I think I'll check some nurseries to see if I can find them because I could find space for some smaller version!
I would also love to see pictures of Japanese garden.
New Topic Post Reply