Tricyrtis

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Tricyrtis

Post by kHT »

This year ours have topped off at about 3-4 feet tall and we are noting that they are getting burnt where they are located just east of the greenhouse. So we have decided to move them this fall or should we wait until spring?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
AquaticPlants

Post by AquaticPlants »

I would wait till spring...
Plants and Aquatic Plants are what keep the planet green and nice.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Go ahead and move them now if you want! The key is in the moisture levels. I have moved mature trees and shrubs as well as perennials in a drought using the following method.

It helps if they are well watered first but I was too much under the gun to do so. When I dug, I put the entire plant in a deep thing of water to soak, making sure that the rootball was below the waterline. Leave it that way while you prepare the hole that it will be going into. Flood the hole with water and let it drain before placing your plant.
Plant and water well.

I move plants all year long using this method. The theory is that by soaking the plant, the roots are sufficiently hydrated that they start forming new feeder roots right away rather than trying to pull moisture out of the soil to do so. The soil has sufficient moisture that it isn't wicking what is stored in the root.

Misting the tricyrtis after moving it wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Since it will be releasing more moisture through the leaf than the root can take up this will help to prevent an excessive moisture imbalance.

Your call on whether you want to trim the foliage back or not. I do on my perennials as my goal is to have them live and I don't mind sacrificing that season's flowers to ensure this.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thank you both!! I was out there today looking at them and decided since they are setting buds I'd wait until fall.
That way we can move the hostas out to the hosta garden and put them where the hostas were. Thank you Kellie for the information, I put those in my notes. Your idea is great!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

I would love to see pictures of them! Please?
New Topic Post Reply