Epimedium & Hellebore in Full Sun. Arisaema Taiwanense s

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Lisa

Epimedium & Hellebore in Full Sun. Arisaema Taiwanense s

Post by Lisa »

I'd like to move around some Epimedium Sulphureum and would like to put some as a border in my full sun garden. Is this possible?

I also have a stunning Ariseama produce a seed pod. Taking suggestions as to how to use the seed to establish a colony/bed of this.

And, can Hellebore take either full sun or sun till about 3pm?
~ Lisa ~ Image
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Lisa, our Hellebors are in full sun here until the fence can shade them let's say 6ish due to the huge tree coming down a few years back. I know I need to move but they look so pretty out front. Not sure on those others, sorry.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
QJP

Re: Epimedium & Hellebore in Full Sun. Arisaema Taiwanense s

Post by QJP »

I think it depends on the type of Helebore? I've read that one is comfortable in part sun, but in general the impression I get is part shade/morning sun.
hortwino
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hortwino »

I'm doing Hellebore "Royal Heritage Strain" in 80-90% sun here in Janesville, Wi, with good success.
Dave
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

For the hellebore and epimedium (I grow tons of both), I have some in full sun, but keep in mind that I'm also in the Seattle area so when we hit 80 degrees we all start melting LOL! The main trick with both is that the more sun they're in, the more water they'll need.

As for the arisaema, it's easy to grow from seed. I've grown hundreds of seedlings, you just need to be patient with them. First off, you need to remove all of the red fleshy part from the seed, and be careful doing this as it's a skin irritant so be sure to wear gloves. I get a ziploc bag, put in some warm water and the seeds, and start mashing them up. You'll find the actual seeds once the flesh starts coming apart. Sometimes I use a metal strainer and (with gloves on) rub the seed pods on the metal mesh under running water to help get off the fleshy part. Once you get the seeds by themselves, lay them out on a paper plate to dry for a day or two. The sooner you can get them planted, the better germination you'll have. Don't be surprised if they germinate and send up one tiny little 1" stem with a tiny leaf, and then go dormant right away. They're not dead, just be patient with them and they should come back the following year. Mine take about 3 years to flower when grown from seed. Well worth it, IMO :)

One thing about Arisaema taiwanense... It produces such a huge seed pod that sometimes it will really set the plant back or even kill it, because it puts so much energy into the seed pod that it doesn't save enough energy for it to grow well the next year. This is the only arisaema that I'm aware of that does this. I usually remove any seed pods that start forming from my A. taiwanense to make sure the plant stays strong, but that's just me being paranoid.

Good luck!!!!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
insam

Post by insam »

Lisa, it does depend on the plant. Like Andi, I grow lots of hellebores and epmediums. some (H. hercegovinus etc) need full sun while others are more happy with dappled shade and moist, cool soils. Generally speaking, virtually all of them will thrive in 4-5 hours of direct sun per day. mine get afternoon sun in mid TN which can be quite direct/hot. Hope this helps.
New Topic Post Reply