Astilbe chinensis types - some of my favorites

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Astilbe chinensis types - some of my favorites

Post by Chris_W »

It has been a great year for Astilbe here, but I've realized I missed out on most of the picture taking opportunities already...

Astilbe (ah-STILL-bee) isn't for everyone, since they need good aeration but also nearly constant moisture for the best success and do not tolerate being dry for more than a day. The soil in our display garden is real heavy and rich at the surface but about 8 to 10" down it turns to sand and gravel, so the drainage is good but it does hold moisture for a couple days after a good rain. This garden also has a very high shade canopy with some early morning and late evening sun. I was worried about growing Astilbe here since I didn't think they would get enough moisture, but as it turns out they love it. We still have to supplement the water fairly regularly, especially if it hasn't rained in several days, but it hasn't been too bad. The Ligularia hated it here, but the astilbe are going strong.

Some of my favorites have been the chinensis types of Astilbe. These tend to be a little more robust and slightly drought resistant compared to others and when you see how they've formed nice colonies here you can tell why I like them so much.

The Visions series has been around for a while, and my favorite is Visions in Red. Unfortunately the name throws people because the flowers are not red, but rather a raspberry tinted purple, but the foliage has some red tones in spring and the stems are a bit reddish. Visions in Pink is a nice soft pink, Visions is a purple, and I've seen that there is also a Visions in White although I haven't grown that one. All of these are patented plants, so propagation is prohibited.

This year I also tried a newer white chinensis type called 'Diamonds and Pearls' and I can tell it will be another nice one. It is billed as the first pure white (vs. creamy white) chinensis.

'Maggie Daley' is another nice chinensis type with color similar to Visions in Red but on taller stems, blooming a little later.

Finally there is 'Pumila' which is the last to bloom here. It is also neat in that it is a true groundcover with creeping rhizomes, foliage just at the surface, and 6 to 8" flower spikes. 'Pumila' hasn't even started sending up flower stalks yet, while others are completely done. By planting different types you can really extend the bloom season for Astilbe, giving you great summer color in the shade garden.

Here are some pictures of a few of these. Hope you like them :)

Chris
Attachments
Astilbe 'Maggie Daley'
Astilbe 'Maggie Daley'
Astilbe 'Diamonds and Pearls' PPAF
Astilbe 'Diamonds and Pearls' PPAF
Astilbe 'Visions in Red' PP#11965
Astilbe 'Visions in Red' PP#11965
Astilbe 'Visions in Pink' PP#11860
Astilbe 'Visions in Pink' PP#11860
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Wow - those are awesome Chris!

Many of mine fried this year :x I think it was because as they were getting ready to bloom it shot up to 90+ every day with not a drop of rain. I've been watering, but not enough I guess.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Wow, great pictures!! I haven't tried Astilbe lately, but get tempted when I see pictures like this!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Beautiful Chris! My astilbe have not done well this year. Not enough rain. Some years the buds just fry on the plant .I water hand water my new plants,(had way too many to water this year) but missed some astilbes that were starving for water... :cry: Maybe next year will be better.
felco2
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Astilbe chinensis types - some of my favorites

Post by felco2 »

Astilbe chinensis cultivars are the ones to try if other types fry. I've noticed that in the hosta forum, many of you are from the midwest. I garden in MD. I've had by soil tested by the University of MD.

I have Loam, 40% sand, 37% silt, and 23% clay. Although the soil type is 'loam', I still have to add a lot of organic matter to get great soil. So many folks in the East say they have clay soil, when actually they have a loam which needs organic matter added.

My impression is that the midwest is a clay based soil on the alkaline side. The coastal plane and piedmont soil here is very acid to mildly acid. My pH in the woods is 5.5.

If we could trade handfuls of soil, I think you would love at the idea the east has 'clay' soils.

Anyway I digress. I only need to water astilbe chinensis once a week in a partial shade setting in good garden soil.

Do you have to water so often due to differences in soil or are you growing them with more sun?

Another great astilbe chinensis cultivar:

Korean Splendor a big, vigorous purple
Felco2
The best views of the garden come from working on one's knees. The pause from working when you can drink it all in.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

Beautiful Chris................Too hot and dry down here for me to grow any, sure wish I could...............OC looking forwward to spring again this year... :D :D :D :D :D
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Outstanding pictures Chris. If I didn't get the 2 month lapse in precipitation every summer, I might be tempted to try them sometime.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply