Arisaema Taiwanense - Huge Seed Pod - Need to propagate

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Lisa

Arisaema Taiwanense - Huge Seed Pod - Need to propagate

Post by Lisa »

My A. Taiwanense has a seed pod the size of a mango. I'm very excited about this. The berries seem to be turning purple. I'm only familiar with native green dragons & Jacks and know they turn red when ripe. Shall I assume this will turn red as well or is it purple I'm looking for. I want to be able to pick this at it's prime.

Not sure how I'll deal with planting but I'm leaning towards directly putting them in a designated area in the hosta garden. Hope this pic shows up.
Taking suggestions?

Lisa
~ Lisa ~ Image
Lisa

Re: Arisaema Taiwanense - Huge Seed Pod - Need to propagate

Post by Lisa »

I can't get the pic to appear. :( Well, the berries are green with purple in the middle.
~ Lisa ~ Image
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

OK - This huge seed cluster is the size of a large avocado. Current temp is 51 with tonight's forcast going to 31 !!!
It is now turning red and feels "slightly" squishy. It's not fully red though.

I "think" I should pluck it before tonight's freeze? Then what should I do to propogate this. I'm unclear as to if it needs to be cold for any length of time or if I should clean the fruit off the seed first or just put the whole thing in the fridge?
I wonder if I can grow the seed in a flat in the house. I have all kinds of serious lights I could use.

Taking suggestions how to propogate this massive seed cluster. Thanks!
~ Lisa ~ Image
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I'd love to see it, Lisa. Can you link the picture directly from your hard drive, then use the Upload attachment below?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

From Dave's Garden website . . . . .

Propagation Methods:
From seed; direct sow outdoors in fall
From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; sow indoors before last frost
From seed; direct sow after last frost
From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Seed Collecting:
Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks Mary Ann. This seed pod is really late to ripen. Starting to turn red but not like the native Jacks/Dragons that have already done their thing. It's like it thinks its in some warm climate and has time or something.
It's really throwing me cuz I'd rather leave it longer but I think it shouldn't get hit by freezing temps (tonight). IDK.
I wonder if I cut it off - if it'll continue to ripen like a tomato would.

I keep looking up propagation and not finding any clear info on if it needs stratification or not. GRRRR.. I think I'll start some in flats inside and also scratch some into the ground outside somewhere. Though since I'm unclear on the zone for this thing (I'm seeing a lot of Z6), I fear the seed will freeze. I guess I'm just going to wing it.

I'm really stressed out about the whole thing cuz I feel lucky/blessed the plant gave me this gift. I still don't even know how/why it seeded for me. Must be both male/female.
~ Lisa ~ Image
New Topic Post Reply