Shallow rooted woodland plants

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Denise_in_MI

Shallow rooted woodland plants

Post by Denise_in_MI »

I have created a new bed at my cabin. It is in a location where the propane line and electrical are buried. What are some woodland shallow rooted plants that would be good in this area? Let's see if I can post a pic. Hmmmmm, it's not showing the whole pic, but you get the idea. It's triangular shaped about 4'X8'X7'. In fact, well to the right of this pic, I'm thinking of getting a 'Brunette' cimicifuga from Chris. Of course I'll fill in with hosta/astilbe/heuch's etc.

ADog Kaiser
DX: 2/2/11
Percorten-V 0.7ml q. 28 days, Pred: 0.5mg/qd
Foster ADog Scarlett
DX: unknown
Percorten-V 0.2ml q. 28 days, Pred: 1.0mg/qd
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Shallow rooted woodland plants

Post by govgirl75 »

How about Ostrich fern? They are hardy here in Zone 5, spread slowly but are not invasive and require only a little watering in the driest time in the summer. They get dense enough to cover the foundation, too.
Gloria
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

"...spread slowly but are not invasive..."

You are kidding, right? This is possibly the most invasive fern there is and grows a mile a minute. That is my experience anyway.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Funny story - years ago I ordered Ostrich Ferns, and when I got the crowns I knew right away they weren't correct. The crown and roots looked nothing like Ostrich ferns, and even the fiddleheads didn't look right. So I contacted the grower and they insisted these were Ostrich ferns. I sent pictures of true ostrich ferns along with pictures of their fern and after a while I got a new answer. The plants they sent were Tennessee ostrich ferns. Here we go again with common names :roll: Tennessee ostrich ferns - took me a little while to find what it really was - some references list as Athyrium pycnocarpon, but that isn't a valid name. The true name of that plant is Diplazium pycnocarpon, known as the glade fern. And here is the kicker - I saw these at Walmart a couple years ago in boxes sold as Tennessee ostrich ferns too, so I wonder if that has caused some confusion?

Ostrich ferns - Matteuccia struthiopteris - spread like crazy, can be quite invasive, especially in drier spots, and do best with regular moisture.

Glad ferns aka Tennessee ostrich ferns - Diplazium pycnocarpon - are slow spreading, do fantastic in dry locations, and after years of growing them have never been invasive. I have to wonder if that's what you have or are referring to, Gloria :)

Back to the question posted, I would consider Lamium (spreading ground cover), Tiarella or Heucherella (these do better in shade than most Heuchera, in my experience), Lamiastrum 'Herman's Pride' (more contained than Lamium, if you are worried about spreading), Japanese painted ferns, Christmas ferns, Pulmonaria, Epimedium, European or Canadian Ginger (the latter is another fast spreader, but both do well in dry shade), possibly fern leaf bleeding hearts. Jack in the Pulpits are shallow bulbs.

The Actaea would look great in the corner, so long as it will get some regular moisture. They tend to wilt a lot in the summer if it gets too dry. If bunnies or deer are an issue I would choose things like ferns, brunnera, Pulmonaria, and shade grasses like Hakone grass and carex so things aren't eaten all the time.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Here is an old picture with Diplazium planted with bleeding hearts, pulmonaria, hostas, etc. Taken back when digital cameras had really low resolutions...

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Well, Chris, I just don't know what I have then.
I received mine from the garden of a very old abandoned house that was being torn down to make room for a new building.
Mine are on the north side of the house in the shade. I started with one large fern about 10 to 12 years ago. I probably have about 25 now. They confine themselves to the bed, have never gone to the lawn or into the more brightly lit area to the west of the house. They do OK in dry weather, but I do find the fronds start to break when they are deprived of water. I do give them water in the dry part of the summer. I like them for many reasons, because they are old fashioned, because they are an old lady plant and I am an old lady, because they require virtually no care, they hide the foundation of the house and soften the hard edge of the patio and nothing eats them. Once they are up, I will try to ID them for sure, but I it sounds as though I probably have the Glad fern aka Tennessee ostrich fern. Sorry if I misadvised you,Denise.
Gloria
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Thank you EVERYONE! Chris, expect an order from me in a couple of days. :)
ADog Kaiser
DX: 2/2/11
Percorten-V 0.7ml q. 28 days, Pred: 0.5mg/qd
Foster ADog Scarlett
DX: unknown
Percorten-V 0.2ml q. 28 days, Pred: 1.0mg/qd
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Great post Chris. Thanks for the information.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply