Fern propagation by plantlets

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Myro

Fern propagation by plantlets

Post by Myro »

Hi,
I am trying to propagate Polystichum Setiferum "Plumosum Densum" (Mossy soft shield fern) by little plantlets rising on fern fronds.
I have kept containers for about two months covered with clear plastic bag. Now plantlets has fronds about 1" long. How long I need to keep them covered with plastic bag . When it will be ready for transplant in to the garden? What is next procedure? I need some advice.
Myro

...Spring flowers,autumn moon,
summer breeze,winter snow
-
When the MIND is free
From unnecessary thoughts
Every season is just PERFECT
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Fern propagation by plantlets

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

If your plantlets are starting to root on their own then the plastic bags aren't needed any longer. Personally I would try to let them dry out slightly now, for a day or two, then water thoroughly and let dry slightly again, IF they have their own roots growing in your potting soil. You will want to harden the roots off a little so they can fend for themselves once planted in the garden.

Once you have roots out to the edges of your container I think it will be safe to plant them in the ground. Don't wait too long or they won't get established in time for winter. Most ferns put on the most root growth right now, in summer, so getting them into the ground in about a month should give them time before winter.

So were these divisions or cuttings? I'm curious about how you started these.

Hopefully I've been able to help.

Chris
Myro

Re: Fern propagation by plantlets

Post by Myro »

Thanks for reply Chris.
It is cuttings I assume. This is my first try to propagate my favorite fern from garden and I hope it will be successful. I am cut of two mature fronds which had little plantlets along midrib on every inch or so. Plantlets shows up last summer but I didn't plant them immediately and many of them dried out during a winter. This spring I have planted a few plantlets which survive winter. I have made two different attempts.
One without removing frond from mother plant and one with cutting off a frond and planted it in container. I the first try I had just attached frond with wire clip to potting soil in the container but it didn't grow so well. Other frond I had cut off, planted it in container and I kept it covered with plastic bag. It is plantlet from my picture. Other plantlets I have planted in the same way about two weeks ago( I can't wait them to grow in the first way ) but they are too small and I'm not sure if they will be established enough to survive winter. By the way, I follow your advice and have removed plastic bag from container. It looks just fine for now.
Myro
...Spring flowers,autumn moon,
summer breeze,winter snow
-
When the MIND is free
From unnecessary thoughts
Every season is just PERFECT
New Topic Post Reply