Walk in the woods

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Walk in the woods

Post by Bob Scott »

Whats' blooming now in my shade garden
Bloodroot, Wood Anemone, Rue Anemone, Spring Beauty, Dutchman's Breeches, Toadshade Trillium almost open as are the dog toothed violets.
May Apple just leafing out. Solomon's Seal, Jack in the Pulpit and Green Dragon still hiding! lady fern, Japanese fern, Ostrich fern showing the tips of fiddles. Christmas Fern obviously still holding onto last years fronds.
Hostsa only showing in the warmer areas against the house for now.
Redbud "Appalachian Red" starting to color up. Strong, rich, hot pink as opposed to the "normal" lavender.
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Re: Walk in the woods

Post by isadora »

Same here, but both dogtooth's violets, yellow and white, are in full bloom. As well pretty false rue anemone, wild plum, callery pears and golden current. Persian lilacs opened today, and early delicate ferns, carpets of bluets, spring beauty and buttercups. pussy toes, violets of all colors, yellow, red, white, speckled, blue are all in bloom today. Too much to list! (I love saying dogtooth violets, spring beauty, pussy toes, toad trilliums--aren't they so much more fun than the staid and fusty Latin names?) Blood root has already come and gone, it was brief this year due to the warm weather, woodland phlox is just showing color today and I expect it will be glorious in a couple days. Giant Solomon's seal, false and true wild Solomon's seal are all pushing up shoots. I love spring!

Sandy
scotkat

Post by scotkat »

My dogtooths start to come in to growth

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

The past week has been huge for my plants. This is also the time of year I'm more aware of my different micro climates. As simple as being on one side of the yard to the other. Some plants are well on the way while the same species are just breaking ground in other areas. Ferns and host are the most obvious.
New Topic Post Reply