Dragon's tail fern - spleenwort

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Dragon's tail fern - spleenwort

Post by Chris_W »

While visiting one of our fern plug suppliers we learned about this cool looking spleenwort, that I didn't even realize should be hardy to zone 5, and some references even say zone 4! This is Asplenium x ebenoides, a hybrid fern that is commonly called dragon's tail fern or Scott's spleenwort. Like other types of Asplenium this does best with well-draining, neutral to alkaline conditions, but otherwise should be easy to grow though maybe a bit slow. It doesn't like heavy soil and may not do well if the soil is too acidic. We don't have that problem here because our soil has a high pH (being in Cement City, Michigan).

I'm excited to start growing these this summer and hope to offer them by mail in 2015.

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Re: Dragon's tail fern - spleenwort

Post by boops »

I like that one Chris, if you sell it next year-I'd get one or two. I lost 3 ferns this winter, a Dixie Wood Fern, A tassel fern and surprisingly a Holly Fern. Don't know why maybe the constant freeze and thaw weather just did them in.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

I love that fern also. I will order it if offered as I am trying to add more deer and vole resistant stuff with the Hostas. We have a lot of Oaks so their soil requirement should work. Are they considered a native cultivar? I also lost a fern or 2 last winter, Tassel Fern was the main one. I think the very harsh winter was part of it. Our MG group got a large number of Korean Rock ferns that are supposed to marginal in our area from a Home Show exhibit - they went from show ready to a cold drafty barn for three weeks when the temps dropped to 10. They all came through great, some ferns are really tough!
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

We hope to offer it next year if they grow good for us.

The only ferns I lost were ones that were in spots that didn't drain that great so when the huge snow cover started to melt the frozen ground held water for a long time and killed some. We actually had some March rains on top of a couple feet of snow which then froze solid so I actually was expecting even more loses than we had.

I had one variety of Hart's Tongue fern that died in a low area but the regular Hart's Tongue all survived in a partially raised bed. My Dixie Wood Fern also are grown in very dry shade as are my Holly Ferns. My Alaska Shield Fern does best in dry conditions too and I lost some that were too wet this spring but the ones on the hill are fine.

Thanks for checking this out :)

Chris
New Topic Post Reply