Update on Red flowered Hosta progress

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Update on Red flowered Hosta progress

Post by waldo »

I attempted to post this a few days ago and it apparently was lost in cyberspace. So here goes again. This is one of my best red flowers to date. I have a hard time getting the red to show up on my camera, this is the as close to the real thing so far.
The red is even a little more intense and interior of the flower is pinkish lavender.
Attachments
IMG_1575.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Update on Red flowered Hosta progress

Post by redcrx »

Nice. Do you know the parents?
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
waldo

Post by waldo »

Yes the lineage is: 21-40 2018 (First Blush X (Dostoyevsky selfed #1)) X 20-149-5 (Beilstein A 148 RED FLOWER #2 XOP) I purchased open pollinated seeds from Doug and grew those out and selected what I thought were the best and they were crossed onto a seedling resulting from seeds that I got from you Ed crossed with First Blush.
waldo

Post by waldo »

Hi Ed,
I am posting a couple of pictures of another red flowered seedling with a similar but slightly different family background. The lineage on this one is: 21-45 19-135-2 ((First Blush X OP)#9 X Dostoyevsky selfed -2017) X 18-136-2 (Betsy King X (Dostoyevsky selfed #1)) As previously stated, the camera doesn't always pick up the red as well as I would like.
Attachments
IMG_1563.jpeg
IMG_1566.jpeg
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Just red on the outside?

I only got a pinkish from my crosses so far. Lots of really deep purple flowers.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
waldo

Post by waldo »

Yes the exterior of both is red with interior a pinkish lavender, but I hope to improve on that. :D
New Topic Post Reply