Hallson Member Seed Exchange - 2008!

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

leafmould

Hallson Member Seed Exchange - 2008!

Post by leafmould »

Welcome to the Hallson’s Hosta Forum
Members Seed Exchange

The seed exchange has been set up by Hallsons Forum members to help fund the forum service. This exchange financially helps support the up-keep of the best hosta forum on the Web. This also provides the members a place to exchange Hosta seed.

To participate in the seed exchange, you need to be a Hallson’s forum member, so if you aren’t, now is a good time to join!

Hosta seed donors can post their list of seed donations on this thread. Please simply keep your offers up to date, and let people know if you would like a specific donation amount, or let them know if you would like them to send stamps to you to cover your postage to them.

Last year, 25 seeds per pack was a common amount but the portion of seed is entirely up to the donor. Purchasers wishing to acquire seeds will notify the donor of the seeds requested, by leaving them a private message.
Donors will check their private messages daily and will confirm to the requesting party the availability of seeds. The donor will reserve the seeds on a first requested first served basis.
The donor will then promptly edit their post to reflect the amount sold. If you have sold out your donation please indicate with a SOLD OUT.
The purchaser upon receiving confirmation of seeds from donor will then make a donation to Hallson’s for each portion of seed reserved. Donation amounts are up to you ($5 to $10 is usual); however, some donors with rare or “special” seeds may request a minimum amount per portion, or they may auction off special seeds.

Keep us posted to your efforts in growing here on the Hosta Hybridizing and Seed Growing Forum!

Donations may be made by:

Check or Money Order
(Made payable to Hallson Gardens)
Hallson Gardens
PO Box 220
Brooklyn, MI

OR

You may make donations by credit card through the Hallson Shopping Cart at https://www.perennialnursery.com/catalo ... id=4&cat=2

Also, a short note explaining seeds purchased and seed donors name should be included with your donations. Please be generous with your donations as it benefits us all.

Have fun and happy growing.
Leafmould
Mr. Leafmould
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hallson Member Seed Exchange - 2008!

Post by Chris_W »

It's that time again (maybe a little later than usual) where we exchange hosta seeds here on the forum :D

I've collected seeds but haven't had a chance to sort them out yet. As soon as I know what is viable (I'll be making sure they all have good, plump seeds) then I'll post my list here. If you have your own seeds to share feel free to reply here on this topic or start your own topic. If you start your own topic I'll make it a sticky topic.

The seed exchange is voluntary and simply helps us to offset our cost and time to keep the forum going here. The forum software is free, but takes time to keep updated. The traffic for this size forum takes resources that do cost money, and your voluntary donations help to keep the free forum service going (and helps with my sanity around election time :lol: )

If you have any questions about how this works just let me know, and thank you for your support!

Sincerely yours,

Chris
pepper1
USDA Zone: 5

Post by pepper1 »

I finally have my seed cleaned and ready to go. I don't have a lot this year due to weather and DEER, but do have seed from a few plants. Please send a PM if you are interested in something, and I'll verify that I still have seed. I'll take care of the mailer and postage. Please send whatever you care to donate to Chris in exchange for the seed. Thank you!

Gary

A packet will be 25+ seeds (usually around 50).
Following are varieties that I have seed from (all open pollinated):

'June' (2 pkts)
'Paradigm' (3 pkts)
'Ultramarine' (4 pkts)
'Maraschino Cherry' (4 pkts)

'Swoosh' (5 pkts)
'Gone Fishin' (8 pkts)
Mixed Streaks (6 pkts) - this is seed from several of my streaked seedlings, mostly tracing to 'Lets Streak'

Here are 3 more...late flowering, red petioled plants. The scapes from these were brought inside and allowed to mature in sugar water. These 3 were grown close to each other and near several red petioled seedlings so all potential pollen donors have red petioles. Should be some nice ruffles from Marilyn Monroe and Grand Slam.

'Grand Slam' (5 pkts)
'Marilyn Monroe' (3 pkts)
'Harry van de Laar' 3 pkts)
Last edited by pepper1 on Dec 02, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Gary,
I would like a pack of Swoosh seeds. Is there a starting price? Thanks!
Denise
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Denise,

If you haven't already, send a PM to Gary to let him know which seeds you want. Then it is up to you what to donate to the forums.

Thank you both for your support :D

Chris
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Chris_W wrote:Hi Denise,

If you haven't already, send a PM to Gary to let him know which seeds you want. Then it is up to you what to donate to the forums.

Thank you both for your support :D

Chris
Hi Chris!
I have PM'd Gary. Was hoping to see more seeds here to bid on...not that I don't have too many already :blush: Will send my donation when I'm done shopping! Thanks for keeping up this forum for us!
pepper1

Post by pepper1 »

Denise and Allen...your seeds are on their way. They were mailed this morning so you may even see an envelope tomorrow.

Good luck. Hope you both find some interesting seedlings!

Thanks!

Gary
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Received them yesterday, thanks! Donation has been made to Chris.
Now if I can wait another week to get my shelves re arranged and my trays and lights set up.... :roll:
pepper1

Post by pepper1 »

I editted my list (a few posts back on this thread) today to include seed of the following late blooming red petioled varieties:

'Marilyn Monroe'
'Grand Slam'
'Harry van de Laar'

Gary
pepper1

Post by pepper1 »

Pia, Allen and Aaron,

Seeds are on their way to you today.

Gary
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Christmas Present :D :D :D

Will check out the mailbox

Thanks

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on much lately and missed the seed exchange. I wasn't going to grow seeds this year but I'm finding that I really miss it. Sooo does anyone have any seeds left that I can bid on? Let me know. :frosty: :frosty:
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
nmb

Post by nmb »

funny you should mention that I thought it might be too late for anyone to care.. I have some WIlliam Lachman. I got them from someone else, on a fasciated scape. So i started some to see if they were streaked. They're VERY nicely streaked seedlings.

Mary
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

That's great, Mary. If you have extra, I'll take some and I'll send my donation to the forum. Let me know. Remember to post pics of your babies when they get bigger. Good luck with them.
Paul
My Hosta List

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Got my seeds from Pepper1 too :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Hi Mary,

Got my seeds from you today and sent Chris a donation. Thanks very much. :D
Paul
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply