Filagree...germination has begun!!

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

Out of my origional 20 that germinated - 15 are green, 5 are pale yellow. No markings of any kind that I can see but I do notice slight differences in leaf shapes, I think one or two may even have an undulating edge. They still are so small, too small to photograph yet, but a few I think will be putting up their second leaf anyday now. As soon as they come into focus with my camera I will post some pics.

Irregardless what they look like I will grow them all on. Since this is my first attempt at seedlings I cannot bear throwing one of my babies away! Who knows, in a few yrs they may actually looking interesting enough to have earned their keep.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Of the 20 that germinated, only 9 or 10 actually went on to leaf out. Most are very shiny, round, and very dark green. One is taller, light green, and pointy. Most have their second leaves. More pics in a week or two.
Greygardener

Post by Greygardener »

Interesting feedback on Filagree, thanks folks. I'd been thinking about trying it...now I won't. Too many other things I want to play with rather than one that may or may not produce.
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Thanks for the updates, guys! Can hardly wait to see pictures.

Now we know all the seedlings won’t be the same - we have learned something! So little is known about the seedlings from this plant, every little bit of knowledge is helpful.

Greygardener: Its way too early to tell if this plant may or may not produce interesting seedlings. I only let the plant set seed on two bloomstalks, as it is still young. And I only sent out 450 seeds total and I have a few packs to start myself - not enough for a good sample size (but all I had). Next year I plan to let it set all the seed it wants and send out seed to anyone that wants it (if they promise to share results). Then we should have a big enough sample to see if anything interesting tends to happen. I sure wish we knew who gave Filigree the 4-star rating as a breeder at the Hosta Library...and that they would let us know their results!

Seems like so many folks are all using the same few streaked or red petioled parents in breeding - and ending up with the same thing. I really like the mottled/misted ones, and since so little is known about them have decided to make those “my project”. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a blue Atom Smasher bigger than Blue Angel with yellow mottling similar to Filigree’s pattern? Stay tuned...

wanda
greenseeds
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by greenseeds »

Thanks for the update Demi! :P
Looking forward to photos when they come into focus. :wink:
Tonia
Not all those who wander are lost
J.R.R. Tolkien

My Hosta List
greenseeds
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by greenseeds »

IMHO, I think you're right Wanda. :wink:
I'm very new to this hybridizing thing. From what I can see, there are a lot of people working with the same sort of crossings. I think it's more of an individual perception/choice as to how hard one wishes to work at meeting their goals. Personally I think it's worth it to plant over 2000 SM seeds to get one or two mottled ones, simply because that is not something that is done often if at all by others. My goal is to produce a yellow SM with lots of spills, it might take me 12 or more years of line breeding to do that but it'll be worth it to me. To me it makes more sense to try new things to end up with the unusual. 8-)
The most important thing is to have fun no matter what. :P
Tonia
Not all those who wander are lost
J.R.R. Tolkien

My Hosta List
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Greenseeds: I agree completely! And I really hope you do get a yellow Spilt Milk - that would be stunning! I want the second one, ok? (hehe) Are you planning to work in more of a deep, rich gold tone (King Tut, etc.) instead of a bright yellow (Sun Power, etc.), so that the white lines will show up better?

I don’t think many folks realize that in most plants it may take thousands and thousands of seedlings to get a “good” new one, that is different than all that came before and be a good grower. And that it may take years and years before you really know just what you have. So many hosta we have available now are so similar its almost impossible to tell the difference (whether seedling or sport). And with so many folks using the same parents in breeding I am afraid the situation will just get worse. And perhaps even go the way of our agricultural crops - where so many use the same thing that their results are all susceptible to various ailments or pests and valuable genetic diversity is lost over time. And don’t even get me started on purposeful genetic modifications in food crops and the lack of control thereof...

And besides, I have always had the need to forge my own path instead of following the herd. I ain’t no sheep...(hehe).

wanda
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

This weeks pics of Filagree seedlings.........

Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Excellent! I can’t believe how shiny some are! That one at the “9-o’clock position” looks like it might have some sort of markings...does it? And just love the great big one! Look nice and sturdy, too!

I may just have to give and and plant some today. We are in the middle of a nor’easter and the snow is coming down an inch an hour. Staying inside sounds good!

wanda
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Not really markings...just darker around the veins. They are quite shiny, except for the big guy. Keep the snow up there, please! We are expecting rain, but it could be a mix tonight.
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

My 5 pale yellow ones finally bit the dust. I know, it was bound to happen but it was still disappointing nontheless.
The remaining 15 green ones are still growing and still small. There is some variance in leaf form & shape and I think 2 may end up to be small or dwarf as the leaves have remained tiny compared to the others.

Still no misting/mottling that is jumping out at me, only time will tell.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Update: Today's pic...there is one more, a very large one that is the same soft blue as the one in the middle. Denise
New Topic Post Reply