Germination question...

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Greygardener

Germination question...

Post by Greygardener »

Just wondering if the rest of you regulars are noticing a slower germination rate this year? And possibly a reduced rate of germination. Mine seem to be taking longer than usual, and couple other folks I've talked to have noticed it too. Maybe the extreme heat affected the seeds this year?

I'm not giving up, but getting anxious to see my new "crop" this year.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Some are faster than others. I have this going on with different germinations speeds within the same chamber. I have from 8-16 different types in one chamber.
I can't say it's any different than prior years.
jay dee

germination

Post by jay dee »

I have noticed the same thing this year. Maybe hot and dry are not a good combination for germination, or lack thereof.

jay dee
greenseeds
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by greenseeds »

Hi Greygardener :P
No complaints here so far and much better than last year! :wink: Is it possible your sdl. pots/trays aren't warm enough? Just a thought. They like it at or around 75 degrees.
Tonia
Not all those who wander are lost
J.R.R. Tolkien

My Hosta List
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

The watch seed never germinates. Sew and walk away. :-?
Mike
Milwaukee
Greygardener

Post by Greygardener »

I really have done everything the same way I've done in the past. Start them out on top of the stove...gas heat...so they're heated from the bottom. Just seems that all are slow to get started this year. Will just have to wait and see how they do, I guess.

Yes, MikeWI...I agree! I think I do tend to watch over them too much! Just like the pot and the phone...won't boil or ring!
wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

Hi, folks!

I have various seed sources this year and some batches from a particular source are germinating faster than other batches.

I new to this, so have no past reference point but was wondering about how some are so slow to show!

My own seeds seem to germinate fairly quickly- I'm using them as a 'control'!! Georgia did get hot this year but I had some late seeds, too. More than anything for me, the heat seems to affect the fertilization rate.

Brenda
Brenda B- z7b GA
jay dee

germination

Post by jay dee »

Hey Brenda - Please tell me the fast germination is coming from the ones I sent you - lol!

I am using a heat mat, just like I did last year, and have decided that it is just the ones I am doing this year as opposed to last year. I have never done these particular varieties so maybe they are just not very fertile. I got seeds from Hostarod and they started germinating in 7 days! I guess he has better dabber bees than I do.

jay dee
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Jay dee, the ones I got from you germinated quickly, some of the rest, not so fast. I had hoped for some Allegan Fog seedlings, but its been 3 weeks, and not one sprout!
jay dee

germination

Post by jay dee »

Hi dmi - I haven't had any germination of two different plantings with Allegan Fog. The second time I tried it, I made sure there were nice hard little seeds in there. I thought maybe on the first attempt I had been sloppy and didn't have good seed.

Anyone else ever germinate this cultivar?

jay dee
wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

JD

I'll have to go home and look tonight and let you know- I know some are germinating well and I think yours are. Also, Alexa's are doing well.

I need to keep a better seed/seedling journal- seem like all I do now is pick out the youngsters and pot them up- that and watering, watering! I have more seed to start but don't have time right now.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Brenda
Brenda B- z7b GA
New Topic Post Reply