My first attempt at hybridizing

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

marriedtomud

Post by marriedtomud »

Hey Dee
Thanks for the great birthday wish.

I was away for a bit and found a lot of new sprouts from the last planting when I got home.

Bullseye has three different crosses that have opened and are way ahead of the others in growth. Seventh Heaven x Kabitan has sprouted. My blue seedling has two sprouts.
These were all new this season and I had no clue as to their
fertility.

I'm still playing catchup but if there's a little time tonite I'll get a few pics posted.

Curtis/m2m

Thanks to everyone who emailed a Happy Birthday wish ... made my day.
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Saved a little labor by germinating in saved sushi trays--could put 4+ different kinds in layers in one tray. It gave me time to set up my lights, get the trays, etc....and plant only the ones showing signs of a root....I was able to pre-germinate most of my seeds just using 5 of these.

{love this thread--just read all the replies]
Attachments
sushi tray.jpg
sushi tray.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Mal
I germinate my seeds in much the same method, only using the paper towels in the ziplock bags. It does take more tedious work, but you do know which seeds are germinated and not wasting the potting mix.

This year I have so many seeds, that doing the germination this way is going to take way to long. So I am thinking about donatiing some seeds to the Seed Exchange.....
so be watching soon!

Mal did your other seeds germinate, the batch that you didnt like the soil? I would have a special seed mix for you. Send me a private message if you like.
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Hybridizing

Post by Rob »

Hi Curtis,

Seems like you've disappeared from the face of the earth. I was following your hybrizing experiments from day to day, and suddenly it stopped.

I suppose the sowing bit also is involved in this hybridizing process, so I wanted to inquire: have you done some indoors sowing yet ? With the number od crosses you made last year, you must have about a zillion seeds or so.

Love from the Hosta Mill

Rob
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Curtis!

Are you MIA because you are caring for thousands of baby hostas?

We need an update!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

This was the most facinating thread. Going to go back and write down alot of the info on what took and what didn't. Maybe, :o next year I might give it a try. (on a small scale) LOL How did it all turn out. Get some interesting babies?
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply