Hybridizing and heat

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

dmi188

Hybridizing and heat

Post by dmi188 »

I am new to hybridizing, played around last year, and it was too much fun! This year I am trying to mark my crosses, and be more selective. I know the heat makes for less success. I have several plants in the house, under my plant lights, since it is in the 90s this week.

I have several questions...first, will plants with growing pods (a couple weeks old) abort because of the heat? I have a Sea Sunrise that I brought in for pollinating, but it has been back on the porch for a week now. Should I bring it back in? I'd hate to lose those pods!

Second, my Wm Lachman is sending up a scape. Would it be better to bring it in now, a week early, so it is used to the A/C temps? or can I just wait till the bloom is about to open?

Thanks to Curtis, and all that gave advice on his thread! I love the way everyone shares tips and advice here!
marriedtomud

Post by marriedtomud »

Denise
I'm totally clueless about hybridizing ... these are my first efforts also ... but I'm enjoying the heck out of it and want to wish you good luck. You've asked good questions here and I'd be happy to share any good info I come across.

I've not brought anything inside ... but I know several that do their hybridizing indoors with good results. I have a few small divisions potted up that it just might be fun to try indoors. I'm an early riser but the bees and insects are always there each morning when I start.

Hope to see some of your good babies in future.

Curtis/m2m
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have not been very scientific about it as to how hot is too hot.
Most of the time my plants that had already set seed outdoors made it through the hottest part of summer without aborting seed pods.
I have read or heard that too much heat or rainy days that they will not set seed. But how hot? How wet?
I con't tell you the exact answer; I can tell you what I am doing though.
This year almost all of my hybridizing is indoors in pots. I get the plants back outside in the bright shade or morning sun or late afternoon sun (after 7 pm) on the porches.
It works to do all the hybridizing in a nice bright window but I do not have enough windows.
For the very special plants I am working with (my seedlings, especially streaked one) I have them in the windows and the others are outside during the heat wave.
On rainy days I keep the plants on the covered porch, not in the direct rain. I think the more light, the better (without stress)

Here's another question I'd like top solve: How late in the day is too late? I have had successful pod sets from as late as 2 pm on Cinnamon sticks indoors in the fall.
How wet does the stigma/pistil have to be before it will no longer accept pollen?
I noticed some of my plants were getting wet looking on the pistil tip at about 11:00 AM this weekend. I didn't document which, just too many to cross I guess. It is different timing of the wetness for different plants though.
New Topic Post Reply