seedling questions...

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Dee_dla
USDA Zone: 4b

seedling questions...

Post by Dee_dla »

I have some babies I started late in the spring, inside under a light set-up. Like every parent, I think they are just the cutest lil kids ever!!! :P :oops: They are all from OP seeds but I know the pod parent. Most are blues, though I have a golden chartreuse with red petioles and a perky lil yellow. :lol: :D (I really messed up on the ones I got on the seed exchange last winter as I had no idea what I was doing yet. :evil: :???: ) some would say I still don't have a clue :P

But now I need to know...if you started them inside...at what point do you plant them out? Is it an age factor, size, time of year? I would think obviously if they were started in the Jan-March timeframe they would go out as soon as the spring weather was stable, but what about now? I have room to keep them in until next spring if needed.
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." ~John Keats
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I tried last year keeping 2 inside that I started late....one died, one lived...barely. I would plant them out with enough time to get some good roots growing, so they don't heave...just my opinion.
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

Dee,
They probably have 3 or 4 small leaves on them now, right? I would plant them outdoors right now in indirect sunlight, or wait until September if want want to plant them in full sun. Keep them well-watered and don't let them get sun-scorched. I wouldn't fertilize them until next spring. I think this is better then keeping them indoors all winter long, since they need a period of dormancy. Don
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

On the contrary, hosta babies raised under lights don't actually need a dormancy period if they've never yet had one. You could keep them under lights and I think they'd do just fine, although they'd be mighty big by the time next spring rolls around. If you plant them out now, be sure to keep them well watered, and make sure the soil is loose and rich -- hardpan or clay will strangle them at this stage. Also, once the ground is frozen, protect them with a good layer of mulch. Phyllis
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

If you keep them inside... be careful with fungus and moisture through the dark months..... If, when, I loose seedlings it is usually cuz I planted them too early... get too excited about them... and then kill them with kindness.... outside, things fair much better.
Mike
Milwaukee
New Topic Post Reply