When to start...

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Willowy

When to start...

Post by Willowy »

It seems like a lot of people are starting seeds now. I listened to one hybridizer speak and she said she starts seedlings February 1 so she doesn't have to up-pot. Seedlings are planted outside in a seedling bed when the weather is right. Any thoughts?
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
hostapair

timing for seed starting

Post by hostapair »

I was very happy with my seedlings started at Thanksgiving. I have some vacation then and find I am missing the garden- the seed starting helps! The plants fared very well in raised outside beds built by my D.H. Most flowered over the summer, some even flowered before they left the house. What a joy that was to have hosta flowers in early May! (I did have the lights on 24hrs)
I did start a few seeds in Feb and they were almost too small to plant out in the spring and I didn't want to be bothered with them in the house. I plan on starting all the seeds at Thanksgiving again.
LAB and JRB in Hosta Heaven, western New York
Greg

Post by Greg »

It all depends on how much room you have and time.Starting late is easiest but the early plants are the most rewarding as you have a nice plant come spring that may possibly flower the first year.They like to be repotted about once a month for the best growth.So it is a issue of space and time spent in the dirt or should I say Peat !!

Myself I plant a flat every week or two starting shortly with the best seeds (The Streaky Seeds First) As I think these are the most fun to watch grow all winter showing there streaky nature from the start they are a good way to start the seed season...Golds at least for me grow slow so I start the seed that I am trying for golds earlier also.Several traits take time to develop (Piecrust,Blues the first to come to mind)these are the ones personnally started later as they are a several year commentment for showing there true nature of what they will become.These I usually start several flats around Febuary so they can go right outside to uppot for the summer.I do have Atom Smasher and a couple piecrust crosses this year to grow that will be started earlier as I cann't wait !!

Hope this helps some.This is only my third year so there are others that are alot better at this that may be able to shed more light on this subject...No pun entended but I know alot of them have alot more lights !! 8-) Oh and higher electric bills !!

Happy Seed Sowing !!
Greg
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

I am leaning very firmly toward the later starting dates. I'll be following that myself this year, Feb sounds good.

The earlier you plant the longer you have to fuss with the seedlngs, the longer you have for molds to develope, rot as well. Vacations can be an issue as they were for me last season.

If you plant late your seedlings will germinate and then as they develope you get to move them outside. Out side growin can be tough for seedlings.... but my theory is if it doesn't kill'm it only makes them stronger.
Mike
Milwaukee
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Up until using covered cake pans, I took my Jiffy trays with me to Thanksgiving with distant family and to a motel---they were still germinating and required the 2 or 3 mistings a day, and the lids were not as tight fitting as the cake pans! T he hostas, not the relatives, needed the frequent mistings.

I'm sowing as much for entertainment during the short days of winter as anything, and I've found that my streaks have a better start with October/Nov. plantings, and can better withstand the transfer from inside to outside to a cold greenhouse and natural lights--a more sturdy plant.
New Topic Post Reply