Slow growing seedlings

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

BTW...thanks hostagourmet for the dish soap tip....I will add some today to my watering. Hopefully can prevent algae.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Dish soap is a sort of fertilizer too :wink:

Never... knock under wood here- get fungus for real when I spay a very thin layer of "boiled" chicken grit on the top :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

So many questions :P
lets start with fungus gnats :x
Fungus gnats can come from anywhere, mud on a shoe, firewood,other plants in the house.
I have thousands of seedlings going and 0 fungus gnats.

There is a bacteria known as BTi (Bacillus thurengensis 'Israelensis') that kills the larval, immature stage of the insect during its early breeding stage.

The thuringesus bacillus var. israelensis is the variety that works best on fungus gnats killing the larvae. This bacteria is safe and is used in organic gardens.
As you know, it comes in the round floating dunks used to kill mosquitoes larva, but it also comes in a powdered form, 'Aqua bac'.

I crush up one quarter of a dunk and put it in a 55 gal barrel I use for watering/fertilizing seedlings.

From the start, I have added appx. two tablespns of the powdered form (Aqua bac) to each 40 litters of potting mix and mixed it in dry.
I'm sure mixing in some crushed 'dunks' to your water/fert mix will clean them out :cool:

hope this helps, here is a pic of the powder form.
Jim from the Hills
Attachments
DSCN0263.JPG
Mr. Leafmould
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Fungus gnats

Post by thehostagourmet »

Thanks, Jim. Where can we get the powdered form?

George
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Hi George, I have seen it in many hardware stores here, twenty bucks a large container. It's made in Quebec so I don't know about US availability.
If you can't get it, I would use a crushed up 'Mosquito Dunk' to add to a mix.
Mr. Leafmould
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

The dunks really put a dent in my gnat population since I start using it in early January. I just keep a small chunk in my water tank and add more every week or two.
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

After doing some research I decided to try the tb on my seedlings also. I keep a watering can full so the water is at room temperature. I just leave the mosquito dunk in it. I also started letting the surface dry before watering. I had a terrible fungus gnat problem that has now almost completely disappeared. It took a while for the tb to really kick in but it appears to have worked.
Art
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Good news! Thanks y'all!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply