Pollen questions and advice

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

largosmom

Pollen questions and advice

Post by largosmom »

Hi all,

I've been out most every morning before heading to work for the past several days looking at my hostas to collect pollen and see what could be crossed. The first few days, I couldn't figure out what had pollen and what did not. I've tried opening up a flower the night before to keep the bees off, but I don't seem to have had much success with that, mostly because of not being able to be there every day that I've done that.

This morning, however was a bit better, for a few reasons. First, I went out and got a pair of really strong, cheap, reading glasses. Amazing what you can see with magnification (+2.75). I also bought a pair of tweezers after reading about daylily hybridizing. I had been trying to dab a cotton swab on the anthers without really knowing if there was much pollen there. I had no idea the bees got so much of it. Finally, I was able to see the yellow tips of the stamens. Soooo, here are the questions.

- Can I remove the anthers before the flower opens...does the anther ripen off the flower? In other words, when I pull off the tepals the night before, can I snag the anthers then, or do I have to wait until morning, and do I have to wait until they actually show yellow pollen bits before removing them?

- Once I get the pollen, which I'm collecting on squares of tinfoil, how many days can I store it that way and it still be viable?

- Does it need to lay in open air to dry (squares on paper plate? How long if so?

- I tried putting some in the freezer, but I think there wasn't any pollen really there, can I freeze/thaw it over and over, or must it be used soon after thawing.

- I understand some people exchange pollen in the mail...what is the best way to do that if I wanted to give that a try?

- I think I like the tweezers better than the q-tip for applying the pollen, if the anther is available, the Q-tip seems to absorbe so much, it's hard to see. Any advice?

Thanks,
Laura

edited to add:
- can I save all pollen from one hosta in the same "container" or only that collected on the same day?
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

you can remove the anthers before the flower opens but there is a chance the boy parts may not yet have opened up. snip/rip off the tip of the flower petals the night before you want to collect and I'd let them open in the am... with no flower petals the bee's cant land.

beyond that.... i never save pollen... so cant help there... i usually remove the whole anther and use that to transfer the pollen.
Mike
Milwaukee
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Bumping up.

Laura
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

MikeWI wrote:you can remove the anthers before the flower opens but there is a chance the boy parts may not yet have opened up.
We remove petals and anthers the night before. Let the anthers dry in the cool house and they are usually fluffy with pollen by morning!
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Thanks! How long do you keep yours or do you use it right away?

laura
MrHeinz77

Post by MrHeinz77 »

Josh and I use it for several days.

My question would be how long can the pollen be kept and then frozen for it to still be viable? We are not having a lot of luck with frozen pollen. Is there a trick to using frozen pollen?

Thanks,
Jim
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

I used some frozen pollen from last year on my first seedling to bloom under lights, and it made a pod.

I'm having a rough time getting pollen this year too, so I brought in my pollen parent in the kitchen, too. I think that it's earwigs that eat the pollen at night......

Does F2 mean 2nd generation? If so, here is a sdlg from from 2004/5 Golden Sculp, that I'm using for pollen because it's getting some nice corrugation.....
Attachments
Anyway, I'm almost certain it's earwigs that's eating the pollen.
Anyway, I'm almost certain it's earwigs that's eating the pollen.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I haven't frozen but a little bit yet, and I ended up tossing it out as I realized later I hadn't enough on the qtip to do anything with as the pollen was gone off the scapes and I was only getting the remains.

I have earwigs all over the place in my garden, wonder if they are helping themself to my pollen too. Hate those things just cuz they are ugly!

Laura
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have witnessed small flying insects gathering up pollen, look like miniature bees. They don't go inside for nectar. It's later in the morning than the nectar seekers.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Love that hosta, Mal!

I hope I don't find earwigs in my garden! What eats them? I will make sure I have a lot of those! Ick!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I get those little guys outside too.

I don't know if I have any pods yet...which probably means that the earlier crosses this week did not take.

I won't be at my desk all day today, so won't have time other than to collect pollen or self the ones that I'm "selfing".

Maybe if I get in early for a change. :P
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I have a question too. How long after you do the pollen thing do you starty to see the pods start (that is, if you were successfull)?
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

It takes about 4 days. If you can't pull the flower off by then it is probably forming seeds.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Here is a photo that might help. Look at the right most scape and look at the flowers. You can pretty much see what one is today's flower and follow back along the scape to see one just starting (I think so, anyway!).

This is Sagae.

Laura

click to enlarge:

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

So if the flowers drop off easily, that is a failed attempt?
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Yes.
jimrex

Post by jimrex »

hey Laura welcome to the world of hybredizing :eek:
I've been freezing pollen and using it for the first time this year.One thing is you are going to be fighting bees most of the time.Dr Dave mentioned the small guys flying around and stealing pollen,that seems to be all they are interested in.Have your neighbors started pointing and laughing at you yet--when they start you know your a full fledged hosta nut :D
Jim
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

:D The neighbors already have me figured out! No fighting the bees when I cut scapes and take them to the office to play with! Well, only to cut the scapes. They are definitely out there helping make more hostas. I am out in the garden with camera in hand many mornings before heading to work. It's the nicest time of day in the summer, and I get a few minutes of peace before starting my work day.

Thanks for the welcome, I just hope I can keep it up for awhile. I fear for the space I might need, my property isn't all that large, lol!

Laura
New Topic Post Reply