question for hybridizers

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

MollyD

question for hybridizers

Post by MollyD »

I recently read that if your pod is streaked there are seeds in it that will produce streaked seedlings . I had crossed Spilt Milk x Bright Lights and have one streaked pod.
Is this true information and are there other similar clues that apply to other pods?

Thanks!
MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I've never used SM, but generally, if the pod has streaks you'll probably get streaked seedlings. :) Good luck!
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Dorothy Benedict was from William Francis seedling. Goddess of Athena has streaked seedlings all the time. Red pods will have red legged kids. What I'm saying just because of a general statement about a hosta, due to the fact of there unstability general rules may not always apply. Thats the enjoyment. Please let us know what you get from them though could be interesting.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I agree with scootersbear, I'd be excited about a streaked pod on any plant, and Spilt Milk has it's unique markings which occasionally will be transmitted to the seedlings. Too bad nothing is 100%. You should definitely plant those seeds.
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks Guys,

I'm keeping an eye on that pod! When it gets close to being ready I plan on cutting it off and finishing it up inside in sugar water.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Sugar water

Post by thehostagourmet »

Molly, I hope you meant cutting off the scape and finishing in sugar water, not just the pod.

BTW, the sugar water for finishing like that doesn't need to be as concentrated as growing them from scratch.

George
jerry_br

Post by jerry_br »

Speaking of using sugar water from scratch; I was wondering is there any special tricks to doing crossing this way? I tried this method this year and I am getting VERY low sucess rates on my crosses. I have the stalks in a cool room (~70 degrees) under some lights, but I am not having much luck at all.....

Jerry
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Yes George I did mean cutting the whole stalk :lol: :lol: Can't imagine cutting the pod off and expecting it to keep growing!

For hybrizing I'm using 1 tsp sugar to 8oz water. What should it be for maturing a stalk with pods?

Molly
MollyD's Hosta list
New Topic Post Reply