Great Expectations pods?

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Great Expectations pods?

Post by wishiwere »

Why would some of the pods on this hosta be yellow and other striped yellow and green? Are the white ones without seed maybe? I've never noticed this before?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jane,
I've not yet tried to grow any seeds from GE, but I do know that the white pods usually have all white seeds, and I don't think they are viable. I had a few green and white pods on mine last year, and there are a few again this year. I'm going to let the striped one ripen and see what's in it.
Yeah, I know that wasn't too helpful. Maybe someone who has tried to grow GE seeds will chime in.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I figured that too about the white/yellow ones. I've never really looked at my pods too much for color till this year. It's neat how different they all are! Very :cool:

I wonder now about the striped ones. Whether they are some viable and some not, or what? Interesting.... And hoping someone can answer more too!

Thanks for helping! :D
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

http://www.hallsongardens.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=45261

WIW, this is a post from a week or so ago talking about white pods. Some of the pics of the Night Before Christmas seedling are gone, but it looked just like NBC. The hybridizer talks about his experienc with white seedlings, pods, etc.

Many times seedlings come out the center color of the pod parent. White pods may mean all white seedlings or maybe something special. Hope this helps...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks. There is only one all white pod on this plant, the others are all striped, so I'll have to plant some seed this winter and see what pops up from them.

I had forgotten about that post! Must be the age showing as I actually posted on that one too! :lol:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'll be excited to see what you get from those streaked pods. Keep us posted!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply